Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

I'm planning to get up to Scotland for a few days around August time. I'll be getting the train up to Fort William if poss, and will be travelling as light as possible.

I would just like some ideas on equipment.

I'm gonna be camping, and have looked at the smallest/lightest tents available, including the Bivi 1, which when packed away is very light indeed. I'll also be needing a small sleeping bag or equivalent. So far i've looked at the Vango Ultralite 100 Pro, which again is compact and light. Are there any other alternatives I should look at? The Bivi tent is £117, which im sure is good value, but not really as cheap as I would like. The sleeping bag is about £35 which is fine.

What else will I need? So far im thinking:-

* one light set of clothes for on a night
* decent map
* one spare set of cycling clothes
* basic bike tools
* compass
* small waterproofs
* food

I have a decent back pack for all the above. Ideally, I wouldnt actually use a bag, but I dont think I have any other options. The tent/bag I mentioned above is very small and would probably fit in a waist bag, but with all the other kit as well, its not gonna happen.

I'll probably be using my new Ribble bike, and Pannier bags would not be ideal.!

I would appreciate any advice from experienced tourers
icon_cool.gif
cheers!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't forget your Avon So Soft! B)

snorri

Legendary Member
ShinSplint said:
I would appreciate any advice
cheers!
Do you intend to buy meals, or go self catering?, Wild camping, or on recognised sites? There are plenty of eateries in Fort William, but not so many when you get away from the main centres of population.
Before your holiday,try to take a night away in the tent close to home, that will help you decide just which items you will consider necessary.;)

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Good point roadjunkie ! Never thought of that.

Snorri, probably wild camping, but may go for recognised sites, not sure yet. Food wise, i'll try and plan a route that ends near a pub where I can get a decent bar meal on a night. Other than that I think it will be mainly snack bars etc. and the odd Cafe along the way. I'll only be going for 3-4 days.

Cheers for your advice, keep it coming ! Oh, and yeh I read about the Avon stuff - i'll be getting me some of that! :biggrin:

Why are panniers not an option?
I can't see the point in loading yourself up like a packhorse when everything could be carried by the bike.

Top Bottom