Scotland's NHS Pay Rise

Well deserved or just another election bribe rushed out with just hours to spare before election rules preventing announcements like this being made?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-56518221
Both.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
On the one hand i wish we could divert more money to pay our NHS staff more in England. There are number of ways this is achievable. On the other hand, Scotland's deficit keeps on rising. The devolved Governments, especially those seeking independence, need to be mindful of this.

On the one hand i wish we could divert more money to pay our NHS staff more in England. There are number of ways this is achievable. On the other hand, Scotland's deficit keeps on rising. The devolved Governments, especially those seeking independence, need to be mindful of this.
Scotland's "deficit" includes paying for such local projects as Crossrail and HS2, so it probably can't be seen as a clear indicator of post independent fiances in Scotland.

JBGooner

Über Member
Scotland's "deficit" includes paying for such local projects as Crossrail and HS2, so it probably can't be seen as a clear indicator of post independent fiances in Scotland.
That isn't true.

Anyway I read this pay rise is coming out of the money set aside for Covid business recovery and mysteriously disappeared when the SNP got hold of it. :laugh:
So better paid NHS staff - great, slower economic recovery from Covid - not so great.

OldShep

That isn't true.

Anyway I read this pay rise is coming out of the money set aside for Covid business recovery and mysteriously disappeared when the SNP got hold of it. :laugh:
So better paid NHS staff - great, slower economic recovery from Covid - not so great.
You say it isn’t true have you any evidence for any of your three claims?
How do you explain the £4.5bn Public Service Debt Interest Scotland paid in 2020. That’s the interest payments on money borrowed for projects like HS2. If Scotland, until very recently, didn’t have any borrowing powers how has it got any debt?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How do you explain the £4.5bn Public Service Debt Interest Scotland paid in 2020. That’s the interest payments on money borrowed for projects like HS2. If Scotland, until very recently, didn’t have any borrowing powers how has it got any debt?
waiting for an answer to this patiently ! could be along wait........

JBGooner

Über Member
Uh, Scotland ain't an independent country. That £4.5 billion is Scotlands share of the near £2 trillion pound debt the UK has been running up these past few centuries and has paid for wars, hospitals, roads, pensions, welfare, public sector wages, students, educashun, government buildings and more recently covid business support, business rates relief, furlough pay money etc. Why, do you think you don't have to pay interest on your debts?

Uh, Scotland ain't an independent country.
That's rather the point.

OldShep

That £4.5 billion is Scotlands share of the near £2 trillion pound debt the UK has been running up these past few centuries
No it’s not that is just the interest payment on PSDI

Going back centuries I doubt the 'books' go that far back. How about looking as far back as 1980?

If we look back as far as reliable historical figures for Scotland’s revenues and expenditure go, we can see that in 1980-81, before the UK debt started to spiral, Scotland was charged £3bn to service the UK debt. Despite that, it managed to record a surplus of more than £1bn.368 Indeed, using GERS, Scotland’s finances showed a surplus until 1990, when the cumulative surplus amounted to £38.8bn (£74bn surplus without debt loading).369

It is undeniable that in an independent Scotland those surpluses would either have been invested to grow Scotland’s economy or possibly put into a sovereign wealth fund, similar to Norway’s.

BoldonLad

Veteran
Possibly, but if Scotland is paying part of the UK's national debt, it doesn't match up with the idea that an independent Scotland would be a basket case.
I don't think that follows at all, unless, you are willing to add another "possibly", so: " it possibly doesn't match up with the idea that an independent Scotland would be a basket case.", surely it depends on the proportion of the debt which can be attributed to Scotland, and, the proportion of the interest payment which Scotland is paying?

It is all academic IMHO, Scotland will either become independent, or, it will not. In the former case, the Politicians will scheme and plot to get the best deal, for themselves, facts will not enter into the equation. In the latter case, the question is pointless. If they do get independence, and it is Nicola versus Boris, my money is on Nicola.

Top Bottom