Scrap bike parts in Manchester/Stockport area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

Anyone know of any decent scrap yards/flea markets etc. in the Manchester/Stockport area where I might pick up some old cheap bike bits. I'm specifically after some forks and drop handlebars, condition and quality not really an issue. Hoping I might be able to find a beaten up old frame collecting dust in a market somewhere and pick it up for a couple of quid, but I don't really know where to go to look.

I've been to Smithfield market before and it's not a bad place to look, but it does tend to be more bulk tupperwear and cheap batteries than proper rummaging opportunities. I've also tried the local tip and a few Stockport scrap yards, but they said they rarely see bike parts. Any other ideas..? (everyone's going to say eBay now, right?!)

Cheers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you find one, let me know - never come across one in 40 years living in the area.

Bike Boutique may be a source for some second hand parts - worth a visit - located behind Man Met University's Student Union, near the Sports Centre (back of the Sandbar)

OP
OP
P

Percy

If you find one, let me know - never come across one in 40 years living in the area.

Bike Boutique may be a source for some second hand parts - worth a visit - located behind Man Met University's Student Union, near the Sports Centre (back of the Sandbar)

Ha! OK fossyant, will do. Strange isn't it - I'm from a small town down south and the local tip was always (and still is) a great place to go for a rummage and see what other people had chucked away - give them a quid or two and you could take a frame or whatever. I asked at our local 'recycling centre' up here and they said 'it's council property now mate, we can't sell it.' So it just gets landfilled...

I know Bike Boutique. I've lost a little faith with the town centre supposed LBSs recently - I've got an old frame I'm renovating with a weird bottom bracket that I just wanted loosening for me, with a specific tool that they had, and instead of just doing it - it would have taken literally three seconds - he insisted I had to book it in, leave it with them for three days and pay a £10 labour charge! I took it home and did it with a hammer eventually :biggrin:

400bhp

Guru
To be quite honest, the amount of usable stuff that gets thrown away these days, try a rubbish tip :sad:

And/or just set up an ebay search - sooner or later some cheap stuff will come up.

The council websites might have some info?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stockport's (bredbury) tip has gone hi-tech.....so you ain't getting anything.... only option might be the scrap metal bloke before you go in...

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Well yeah what is it you're after?

OP
OP
P

Percy

Yeah, I've been down Bredbury - far too high tech like you say.

Well all I'm really after is a set of drop handlebars that I can cut into bull bars for my work bike and a set of forks that I plan to rig up on my workbench as a rudimentary whell servicing stand...

OP
OP
P

Percy

it's weird, on spec as a possible build for someone else I picked up a complete bike, minus wheels, for £3 at local tip this week.

Hmm...my home town is in Hampshire (assuming you're where your profile says you are)...maybe there's something about their tip policies?

I think it's a bit of big city syndrome up here - if there's not someone who's nicked it, there's someone who'll have it anyway because it's free/cheap, regardless of what they want to do with it (if anything). There's a bike on some railings in town that's been there at least six months - full bike, minus wheels. That'd do nicely but you can bet the time I take a bolt cropper in will be the time plod are there watching, waiting to nick me for 'theft'.

Isn't there a council depot somehwere they take all the found/abondoned bikes? Maybe I should set up a charity renovating them - although, even then, they'd probably find a reason not to give them to me.

RedBike

You can no longer remove / buy bikes from my local tip either. Some sort of health and safety rubbish. However, there is a rag and bone man that I occationally see driving around the local area. I managed to buy a bike for parts off the back of his cart before now but it wasn't cheap.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Anyone know of any decent scrap yards/flea markets etc. in the Manchester/Stockport area where I might pick up some old cheap bike bits. I'm specifically after some forks and drop handlebars, condition and quality not really an issue. Hoping I might be able to find a beaten up old frame collecting dust in a market somewhere and pick it up for a couple of quid, but I don't really know where to go to look.

I've been to Smithfield market before and it's not a bad place to look, but it does tend to be more bulk tupperwear and cheap batteries than proper rummaging opportunities. I've also tried the local tip and a few Stockport scrap yards, but they said they rarely see bike parts. Any other ideas..? (everyone's going to say eBay now, right?!)

Cheers.

I have an old frame you can have. Might have a few other bits and pieces that might be of help.
Collect from Eccles.
Just PM me and we can sort something out.

Top Bottom