Sealskinz Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Well, are they as really waterproof as they say? The picture on the box shows them partially submerged in water. However this weekend I went caving and decided to wear my Sealskinz Ultra Grip gloves which are supposed to be 100% waterproof. Got them somewhat muddy so decided to rinse them in the sink whilst wearing them to get the mud off (i.e effectively washing my hands whilst wearing gloves). The water penetrated them within seconds. Hardly 100% waterproof!

You went caving in Sealskinz gloves :smile: It was Marigolds and cheap polyester inners in my day. With a couple of 'lazzy bands 'round the marigolds. You'll be telling us next you wore fur lined boots as well :ohmy: :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Drat - I am trying to find the most waterproof glove in existance - that you can cycle in - actually marigolds over my existing gloves might be the best solution...:biggrin:

I was contemplating getting one of the Mountain bike ones... (I've already tried and discounted the Nightvision gloves, Spesh Amfib(?) and others).

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
You went caving in Sealskinz gloves :smile: It was Marigolds and cheap polyester inners in my day. With a couple of 'lazzy bands 'round the marigolds. You'll be telling us next you wore fur lined boots as well :ohmy: :biggrin:

:ohmy: how did you know!

PS nice signature, one of my favourites!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
I'd be questioning your Celtic roots if you didn't know that signature Plax :biggrin:

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas.
How could I not know, I have his complete works!:smile:

Dormouse

I have Sealskinz mitts for hiking. They are fairly rain proof, better than most that I have tried, but they are poor at breathing so my hands can get wet with sweat instead. They do leak through the seams after several hours of rain.

I also have Sealskinz Winter Road Cycling gloves which are very good IMHO. Avoid the ones with a loose lining (called Winter Technical/ MTB?}.

giant man

Plax said:
Well, are they as really waterproof as they say? The picture on the box shows them partially submerged in water. However this weekend I went caving and decided to wear my Sealskinz Ultra Grip gloves which are supposed to be 100% waterproof. Got them somewhat muddy so decided to rinse them in the sink whilst wearing them to get the mud off (i.e effectively washing my hands whilst wearing gloves). The water penetrated them within seconds. Hardly 100% waterproof!
No they are not! Don't believe their misguided marketing blurb. One guy in the States even took legal action I believe last year, don't know the outcome but imo to be avoided.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Well, just to also add - they are crap in the cold. I went for a quick little jaunt this evening and wore the sealskinz gloves. OMG, I thought my fingers were going to drop off. I was so cold I couldn't shift the gears properly and had severe difficulty trying to open the front door open when I got home. Winter hasn't even kicked in properly yet. Never have I experienced such numb fingers before. It was like they had trapped all the cold air in the gloves.
So don't bother wasting your money on sealskinz gloves - they ain't waterproof and are totally crap in the cold.

Sssssshhhhh you. I sold mine to Snapper on the basis they were too warm. They must be OK she's still speaking to me and she's not exactly the shy retiring type who wouldn't tell me if they were crap.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
It's funny because I've just noticed this thread whilst trawling for some new gloves :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Only joshing Crackle! (but I am having a nose - see below).

They are lovely and warm and kept me dry in all the snow yesterday. However, I have got to say they are a little on the bulky side and it can be a bit cumbersome changing gears etc.

I will stick with them for now because I know I'm just trying to find an excuse to treat myself in these harsh times of the credit crunch :sad:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Plax said:
Well, just to also add - they are crap in the cold. I went for a quick little jaunt this evening and wore the sealskinz gloves. OMG, I thought my fingers were going to drop off. I was so cold I couldn't shift the gears properly and had severe difficulty trying to open the front door open when I got home. Winter hasn't even kicked in properly yet. Never have I experienced such numb fingers before. It was like they had trapped all the cold air in the gloves.
So don't bother wasting your money on sealskinz gloves - they ain't waterproof and are totally crap in the cold.

That is probably completely the opposite of my experience :biggrin:. I find them toastie warm, not had wet hands yet and they are now into their 3rd year. Maybe yours just came from a duff batch ?

Top Bottom