Season of Mists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi All.

Don't listen to the rumours which have been circulating - the very hilly Season of Mists audax will be taking place this year as usual, on Sunday 5th October. Since it is one of my local events, I thought I'd do my bit to help promote it.

Cancellation rumours started after the control cafe at Coldwell Activity Centre closed. I contacted the organiser, Chris Crossland, and he assured me that the event will take place as planned. An alternative control will be organised at Coldwell. Don't worry - a refreshments table will be situated somewhere outside the centre!

There have also been problems with a landslip on the brutal little climb at Thursden, just beyond Coldwell on the way to Widdop Reservoir. No worries there either - the road is narrowed to singletrack, but still passable. It is going to close shortly after SoM so it can be rebuilt before the rest of it tumbles down the hillside :biggrin:.

The event starts from Hebden Bridge and we will head out over the local hills into the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire, before returning by a different, but equally hilly and scenic route. Last year we had glorious weather, and let's hope for the same this time! The weather pattern seems to be similar to last year so perhaps we will be lucky again?

The main event is 100 km in length and not for those who dislike climbing - there are over 2,500 metres of glorious hills crammed in, and many of those are steep.

Here's a map showing my GPS tracklog from last year's event:
season_of_mists_route.jpg

And the elevation profile:
season_of_mists_profile.jpg

There is an easier sister event for those who might find SoM a bit intimidating. Mellow Fruitfulness is 50 km in length, and has 1,200 metres of climbing.

I know that Noodley and perhaps longers are planning to do it, and I got my entry in last week. Do any other forum members fancy having a go?

Noodley

I can confirm I shall be appearing. Hostel at Mankinholes booked, to allow me a wee leg warm-up ride to the start.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Noodley said:
I can confirm I shall be appearing. Hostel at Mankinholes booked, to allow me a wee leg warm-up ride to the start.
I'll be riding up and down the valley for about 30 minutes before the start of the event. The initial climb up to Heptonstall is a bugger with cold legs...

Oh, I've just found a nice photograph of Thursden valley showing the road before the landslip occurred:

1462332487_341676bd63_b.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've not heard any rumours of cancellation. Besides, the Audax web site would have it marked up as a cancelled event. Perhaps the rumours are confined to the immediate environs of Hebden Bridge.

I have no designs on doing the 100km ride but will be satisfied with being the heaviest (and last) finisher of the 50km ride. :ohmy:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

vernon said:
I've not heard any rumours of cancellation. Besides, the Audax web site would have it marked up as a cancelled event. Perhaps the rumours are confined to the immediate environs of Hebden Bridge.

I have no designs on doing the 100km ride but will be satisfied with being the heaviest (and last) finisher of the 50km ride. :ohmy:
Actually, it was someone local who told me about the cafe closure at Coldwell! I called in there to check for myself and sure enough, there was a sign in the window saying that the cafe was closed 'until further notice'. I don't know what had happened to cause it. I hope that it reopens soon because it's somewhere I've called in at a few times over the years.

The problem with the road is rather obvious when you cycle up or down it but there is a sign saying that it won't be closed until October 6th for repairs (the day after SoM/MF) so we will be okay, apart from having to grovel up the thing that is!

Noodley

Nice pic Colin...I may think otherwise whilst going up the road. :angry:

I'll be interested to hear of any closures after the event as I plan to return in November to ride a few perms.

(edit - just spotted the route map. Looks like it takes in some of a longer route I plan riding next year - I'd better pay attention after Burnley!)

Tynan

Veteran
that is a lovely picture and I remember the local area from my Uni days at bradford, you can keep those hills though

best of luck fellas, enjoy

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

In my opinion, the landslip was caused by the weight of the massive boulders which had been placed along the edge of the road to stop joyriders dumping burning cars down into the valley. At one time it seemed to be a favourite pastime of chavs from Burnley and district. I once saw a collection of 6 burned out cars and a trashed van down there. It all seems to have been in vain, because they've been at it again further up the hill - there was another wreck there on Wednesday. If joyriders weren't to blame then there must be a hell of a lot of incompetent drivers round these parts...

Noodley

ColinJ said:
...the landslip was caused by the weight of the massive boulders cyclists

...there was another wreck there...

Yep, overweight cyclists in a wreck - sounds like I'll fit in well :ohmy:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

ColinJ said:
It all seems to have been in vain, because they've been at it again further up the hill - there was another wreck there on Wednesday.
I should just point out that the wreck in question was the burned-out vehicle down in the valley bottom, not the burned-out overweight cyclist on my bicycle ;)!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Noodley said:
I am out of this :sad:

The Lurgy has attacked and I am currently wallowing in self pity and snot. :thumbsdown:
Hard luck Noodley, especially since it's beginning to look as though it might even have stopped raining by Sunday!

One of the few advantages of spending 99.xx % of my time by myself is that I don't tend to pick up the bugs that loads of people seem to come down with. You watch - I'll develop 24 hour 'flu now that I've said that...

Noodley

ColinJ said:
I'll develop 24 hour 'flu now that I've said that...

That was my only hope, that it was 24 hour flu. It hit me today whilst I was in court and by the time I got back to the office I was a sorry state. But I was to be travelling down on Friday and riding with longers on Saturday before heading to Hebden Bridge. So I had to make the call tonight.

I have re-arranged with longers for the first weekend in November and plan on riding the perm version of Season of Mists the same weekend.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Originally Posted by vernon

I have no designs on doing the 100km ride but will be satisfied with being the heaviest (and last) finisher of the 50km ride. :biggrin:

ColinJ said:
Actually, it was someone local who told me about the cafe closure at Coldwell! I called in there to check for myself and sure enough, there was a sign in the window saying that the cafe was closed 'until further notice'. I don't know what had happened to cause it. I hope that it reopens soon because it's somewhere I've called in at a few times over the years.

The problem with the road is rather obvious when you cycle up or down it but there is a sign saying that it won't be closed until October 6th for repairs (the day after SoM/MF) so we will be okay, apart from having to grovel up the thing that is!

I did the ride and very enjoyable it was too. It turned out to be the most scenic, in every sense of the word, of all the calendered events that I've completed this year. As always the post ride catering was beyond reproach and I'm likely to have another go at the route as a permanent. The climb after Coldwell was hard and I had to resort to some pushing. my prediction was borne out. I was Lanterne Rouge for the 50km route.

I'm just wondering about the road closure. It will be impassible by motor vehicles but I bet there be a wide enough passage for bikes.

Top Bottom