Season Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, both are in the Northern Hemisphere, so same months as our summer. A quick glance at a map suggests that Japan is nearer to the same latitude but it will be affected by different winds etc.... California is further south, so I'd expect summer to be hotter...

Depends what you mean by summer, really, do you mean is the summer longer, or hotter?

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

I mean when is it - I am trying to describe that Shimano do not need to increase their prices to increase profits for the winter months (when people rebuild their bike) because Shimano Dura Ace is sold all over the world and so when it is australias winter (when they rebuild their summer bikes) we are just buying dura ace chains - and then when it is our winter we buy lots of rebuild products they just buy chains.

I was looking for some cycling countries that when it is our autumn is their winter and when it is our spring it is their winter - do such places exist?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't think so. Equinoxes are equinoxes, and the only difference is summer in north = winter in south.

The nearer the equator you get, the less difference there is between the seasons and variance in daylength (although there are still distinct monsoon seasons and so on). But that's not what you mean,, I think.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Also, I don't know that seasons affect prices like you suggest? There are seasons in terms of development and so on, but i'd have thought that individual retailers actions would affect prices more than the parent company...

(mind you, I buy so little, and most of that at York Rally, that I don't really know)

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Arch said:
Also, I don't know that seasons affect prices like you suggest? There are seasons in terms of development and so on, but i'd have thought that individual retailers actions would affect prices more than the parent company...

(mind you, I buy so little, and most of that at York Rally, that I don't really know)

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my business teacher doesn't know that;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
oh, so we're doing your homework are we?;)

I'm afraid your winter = autumn idea isn't a goer. Of course, if you think the season/pricing is an issue you might think about the relative numbers of cyclists in the two hemispheres, and the proportion of those likely to be in the market for replacement kit on a yearly basis...

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Arch said:

I'm afraid your winter = autumn idea isn't a goer. Of course, if you think the season/pricing is an issue you might think about the relative numbers of cyclists in the two hemispheres, and the proportion of those likely to be in the market for replacement kit on a yearly basis...

Your not quite doing my homework, I was just asking a question that I would have asked my parents had they been in.

And yes I have realised my season thing is a no-goer and so have just used England and Australia as an example

ChrisKH

Guru
Arch said:

Well that's blown his simplistic marketing model. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Young Un said:
Your not quite doing my homework, I was just asking a question that I would have asked my parents had they been in.

And yes I have realised my season thing is a no-goer and so have just used England and Australia as an example

Ok. I'd want to know the relative number of keen cyclists in each place. (IE keen enough to rebuild bikes on a regular basis and require consumable kit. I don't know, but I'd sort of think there were more in England....)

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Arch said:
Ok. I'd want to know the relative number of keen cyclists in each place. (IE keen enough to rebuild bikes on a regular basis and require consumable kit. I don't know, but I'd sort of think there were more in England....)
To be honest what I am doing curently is quite a bit more complex than what people have done previously and they still managed to achieve A*'s. I'm just being lazy really - I should take those factors into account but I don't feel there is much need to.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hmm, forgive my cynicism, but a business studies work that doesn't take potential clientbase size into account and still gets an A? I suppose if you are dealing with one very specific factor and discussing it, but....

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Arch said:
Hmm, forgive my cynicism, but a business studies work that doesn't take potential clientbase size into account and still gets an A? I suppose if you are dealing with one very specific factor and discussing it, but....

I have stopped being lazy now and have done the england and australie thing as what would be an ideal tht unfortunately doesnt exist, I have then gone onto to say what the current sales/profit relationship is between teh southern hemisphere and the norhtern is, and I am now saying what Shimano would have to do to make it like the ideal marketing model. Thanks Arch!! you've let me add about a page to my too short coursework:biggrin:

Top Bottom