seat post length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the alu seat post on my road bike has a good six inches in length more than i need. is it worth chopping it down (i was thinking of leaving it the length required + the length of the limit +1")? any potential problems i should consider?

ta in advance.

rustychisel

No. But leave a good amount (~80mm) in the seat-tube. Cut cleanly and smooth the edges, and best to fine bevel the edges so you don't gash your fingers sometime in the future.

Remember you've customised the post, so may not be able to swap it to another frame which requires more post... like a compact frame.

Are you becoming a closet weight weenie?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
rustychisel said:
No. But leave a good amount (~80mm) in the seat-tube. Cut cleanly and smooth the edges, and best to fine bevel the edges so you don't gash your fingers sometime in the future.

Remember you've customised the post, so may not be able to swap it to another frame which requires more post... like a compact frame.

Are you becoming a closet weight weenie?

no, i'm just lazy enough not to want to have to carry the extra baggage.

02GF74

Über Member
i've done this without any adverse effects.

use a plumbers tube cutter - one of those little things with cutting wheels - to cut the alloy post; if it ecomes hard to do, use a hacksaw to fnish it - the cutting wheels will have cut the post to guide a hacksaw (not that there is any reason for the end to be squre other tna look nice).

you need to have a certain amount of post below the clamp bolt - I cannot remember homw much - look at a new post nad thye are usaully marked - about 70 mm I'd reckon.

ofcourse once cut, it is less likely to be useful on another frame or to sell should you want to change your post.

kyuss

Veteran
As long as you leave enough post that it goes a cm or two below the bottom of the top tube/seat tube junction I'm sure it will be fine. Not sure I'd bother myself. How many grams will you realistically save and would you really notice?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
At least an inch below the bottom of the intersection of the toptube and the seattube is what folk normally leave. ANything less and you'll leave yourself with all sorts of potential leverage worries.

Bent frame or long seatpost?

I know which one i would go for

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
What i posted is really important with compact frames. long seatposts have more lever to bend in the frame

02GF74

Über Member
Alan Frame said:
Sounds a bit anal to me ! If it's that important to pare weight to a minimum, go for a dump before you ride.:biggrin:

you can say that but then why bother with any ligtweight component? just ride a $ 30 steel framed p.o.s.

Top Bottom