1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seat post length

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by alecstilleyedye, 27 Jun 2008.

1. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

the alu seat post on my road bike has a good six inches in length more than i need. is it worth chopping it down (i was thinking of leaving it the length required + the length of the limit +1")? any potential problems i should consider?

ta in advance.

2. rustychisel

rustychisel Well-Known Member

No. But leave a good amount (~80mm) in the seat-tube. Cut cleanly and smooth the edges, and best to fine bevel the edges so you don't gash your fingers sometime in the future.

Remember you've customised the post, so may not be able to swap it to another frame which requires more post... like a compact frame.

Are you becoming a closet weight weenie?

3. OP
    OP
    alecstilleyedye

no, i'm just lazy enough not to want to have to carry the extra baggage.

4. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

i've done this without any adverse effects.

use a plumbers tube cutter - one of those little things with cutting wheels - to cut the alloy post; if it ecomes hard to do, use a hacksaw to fnish it - the cutting wheels will have cut the post to guide a hacksaw (not that there is any reason for the end to be squre other tna look nice).

you need to have a certain amount of post below the clamp bolt - I cannot remember homw much - look at a new post nad thye are usaully marked - about 70 mm I'd reckon.

ofcourse once cut, it is less likely to be useful on another frame or to sell should you want to change your post.

5. dodgy

dodgy Veteran

I personally wouldn't bother, but if you're confident, then go for it.

Dave.

6. kyuss

kyuss Über Member

As long as you leave enough post that it goes a cm or two below the bottom of the top tube/seat tube junction I'm sure it will be fine. Not sure I'd bother myself. How many grams will you realistically save and would you really notice?

7. Alan Frame

Alan Frame Gnu

Sounds a bit anal to me ! If it's that important to pare weight to a minimum, go for a dump before you ride.:blush:

8. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

At least an inch below the bottom of the intersection of the toptube and the seattube is what folk normally leave. ANything less and you'll leave yourself with all sorts of potential leverage worries.

Bent frame or long seatpost?

I know which one i would go for

9. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

What i posted is really important with compact frames. long seatposts have more lever to bend in the frame

10. OP
    OP
    alecstilleyedye

it's not a compact frame, has about 3" above the seat tube, and about 8" below, which seems more than it really needs. it's a cheap alu post which is not exactly on the light side.

11. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

you can say that but then why bother with any ligtweight component? just ride a $ 30 steel framed p.o.s.

12. Alan Frame

Alan Frame Gnu

Now, now, no need for bicycle snobbery .