1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seat tube angle.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by buggi, 21 Mar 2008.

1. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

as you all know i'm in the market for a new bike. can someone advise me on seat tube angle.

when i ride my bike (lad's you're gonna like this!) i tend to push my arse out :tongue::ohmy:

what i mean is, i've got quite long legs and i think this makes me push my arse towards the back of the saddle. when i cycled to paris i realised after 150 miles that my arse cheeks were sore because i was sitting over the back of my saddle. the guys adjusted my seat for me and one of the water stops (while i carb loaded on bananas :biggrin:) which sorted the problem.

most road bikes i've looked at the seat tube angle is either 73 or 73.5. What i want to know is, by the time the seat tube gets to the top does this 0.5 make a massive difference? i'm thinking if they shoved my seat back a couple of centimetres and it made all the difference, could the 0.5 in the seat tube angle make a difference of couple of centimetres, or would the difference at the top of the tube be negligable?

do you know what i mean?

2. oxbob

oxbob New Member

Hi buggi, if you have the time try this online bike fit calculator, it explains about femur (thigh) length and saddle setback http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

3. Baggy

Baggy Cake connoisseur

Think I know what you mean...and think overall it might make quite a bit of difference.

You could always use a protractor and a stick and see how much difference. :tongue:

4. OP
    OP
    buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

i suppose it would help if i even knew what my last one was.

5. OP
    OP
    buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

6. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

Perhaps you need one of those layback seatposts. I have the opposite problem :tongue:

7. OP
    OP
    buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

don't worry Crackle, you know what they say...

we're all the same size lying down :ohmy:

8. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

:biggrin:

:ohmy:

9. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

look at old roadbike pictures, they had really laid-back seat tubes, in fact my Circa 1949 Holdsworth is much the same, In the old days it looks like people sat further behind the BB. In fact I probably sit more rearwards than most, Greg Lemond also sat back and I think his bike design reflect that more than others.

Maybe you need a custom fitting session to discuss this prior to parting with cash.

10. OP
    OP
    buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

that link posted earlier looks really good, my sis and sis-in-law [to be] is coming round on Tuesday armed with said spirit level and tape measure. i'll let you know if it comes out round about where i'm thinking i should be (normally a 58 frame)