second hand dslr advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
So I'm thinking of investing in a half decent camera for my 21st birthday when it rolls round in a few weeks time, and I'm looking for some input about what to look for and where to look for it to get something second hand. At the moment I'm thinking about going for a Nikon D90, but ebay seems a bit sparse. Any thoughts?

jamin100

Guru
A d90 is a very good choice, I have one. But the thing that matters the most is what's attached to the camera.

A good fast lense will make all the difference.

Look for lenses with at least a f2.8 aperture. Nikon do a 35mm f1.8 for around £150 and you can pick up a 2nd hand 50mm f1.8 for around £75

My slr kit consists of the following

Nikon d90
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Sb600 flash

david1701

The old tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non vc) is a great lens I had one and loved it, Bly sold it when I went full frame, kinda wish I'd kept it and my 50d really

Oh and nikons suck :tongue:

If you feel like paying 4grand for my 5d classic I can afford at 1dx.........

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You'll probably sneer at the thought, but you can pick up a nikon d40 for around £150 on ebay, and it's a great camera. We've had one for five years and it takes excellent pictures, and is really nice & easy to use toboot.

seashaker

CANON!!!!!!!!! well thats what I have, let the debate begin :laugh: Agree with jamin100 above, getting a decent lens or two is going to make the most difference. At the end of the day, if you get decent glass it will far outlive the camera if you keep up photography.

A lot of local camera shops sell second hand and would offer some sort of warranty so maybe have a look around town.

If you by off of various auction sites you never know what you are going to get and could end up with a proper lemon (although in my own experiences I have always been ok)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I was pointed in the direction of the D90 when I asked a while ago and am very happy with it indeed.
As above though, the glassware makes a huge difference and it's not worth buying cheap if you want decent results unless you get the 50mm 1.8, fantastic little lens for the money

Doseone

Guru
It is possible to spend weeks reading different review sites, comparing specs and so on and it's actually quite fun doing it. I spent ages choosing the camera I was going to get, then actually bought a different one because when I tried it in the shop the one I had spent so long choosing just didn't feel right in my hands. None of the major camera brands make bad cameras, but some will just feel more right to you than others.

Also remember that the best camera is the one you have with you when that shot presents itself. Happy shopping:thumbsup:

Norm

Indeed, it is as difficult to tell someone online what camera to choose as it is what frame to buy. For instance, I loved the Panasonic FZ38, the reviews were excellent, the specs seemed to be just what I wanted, I went to the shop to buy it and it was just too small to be comfortable in my hands. Get down to your LCS and try some, especially if they have a selection of second hand stuff. You'll get more, and better, advice for your specific needs than you will based on what you have posted here.

The advice about lenses is also good, as a decent prime at around 50mm, which used to be "standard" on nearly all cameras sold, has been superseded by the ubiquitous short zoom. The quality of a zoom at that price will not match the quality of a prime lens at half the price and it is largely the optics rather than the camera which determine the quality of the image.

However, and this comes back to my earlier point about based on what you have posted here, you have given no clues about what sort of photography are you considering? Landscapes, close-ups, people, sports, night time & parties or day time and evocative shots of misty, frosty hills & fells? Each will place different requirements on what suits you best. Remember, especially, that the "best camera in the world" is no use if you don't take it with you. I've got about half a dozen SLR's, twice that number of lenses, studio lights, backgrounds, hand-held meters and all sorts of other stuff but my favourite camera is a Nikon S8000 which fits under my saddle when I'm riding.:thumbsup:

Doseone

Guru
Remember, especially, that the "best camera in the world" is no use if you don't take it with you. I've got about half a dozen SLR's, twice that number of lenses, studio lights, backgrounds, hand-held meters and all sorts of other stuff but my favourite camera is a Nikon S8000 which fits under my saddle when I'm riding.:thumbsup:

Excellent advice.

ps @ OP - photography.....one of the few hobbies that can get more expensive than cycling:laugh:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Something which I think is worth doing is getting hold of a camera. The bodies are different sizes and one may feel more comfortable than the other.

Norm

Something which I think is worth doing is getting hold of a camera. The bodies are different sizes and one may feel more comfortable than the other.
I'd *like* that post, had I not already said the same myself. :giggle:

Top Bottom