Second hand or new? - budget about £500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I'm uprading from a single speed commuter to something with gears, in preparation for a London to Paris charity ride in September.

How would you recommend I spend my (approx) £500 - second hand from a forum/ebay/gumtree (I live in London), or a cheaper new one (something like a B-Twin TRIBAN 5 from Decathlon)?

I know you can pick up some great second hand bargains, with better spec gears and chainsets etc, but I'm wary of bikes having been in crashes etc.

Advice much appreciated!

Jon

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
2n hand gives more choice and chance of staying under budget

Depends on your knowledge and confidence as regards buying used. If your confident and something crops up then you will get more bike for your buck buying used. However, if you want the ease of buying 'off the peg' and you value the warranty side of things and the ability to pick colours etc (where appropriate), then you'll get a perfectly decent bike with your budget.
The Decathlon bikes are very well regarded around these parts, along with the Carrera range at Halfords as well, (even if Halfords themselves are generally frowned on).

Bicycle

I've bought several new bikes and all have been good.

Many years ago (80s/90s) I bought a few used bikes from Brick Lane. All were good, but the sources were questionable.

I've bought two used bikes through eBay. Both were excellent, cheap and as described. Neither has given me any hassle.

I'd go used, but it is a lottery up to a point.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Second hand, every time. Your only expressed concern is bikes having been in crashes. The likelihood is vanishingly small. Swap an email or two with any potential ebay seller and if you sniff the slightest whiff of anything untoward, back off and wait for the next one to come along.

A bit of homework and a bit of patience and you can absolutely rely on getting something worth three times what you pay for it. Which means it will be a load better than what you could have got new. For your budget, you should be able to get an absolute honey. One thing: make sure you know what size fits you. A £250 bike that's the right size is better than a £500 bike that's significantly not.

Size is the very thing that kills me with second hand. I fully advocate buying used myself, however I never have any joy buying used because at 6' 5" bikes very rarely come up in my size, when they do they tend to fetch really strong prices :sad:

EYE-TYE-MAD

Hi all,

I'm uprading from a single speed commuter to something with gears, in preparation for a London to Paris charity ride in September.

How would you recommend I spend my (approx) £500 - second hand from a forum/ebay/gumtree (I live in London), or a cheaper new one (something like a B-Twin TRIBAN 5 from Decathlon)?

I know you can pick up some great second hand bargains, with better spec gears and chainsets etc, but I'm wary of bikes having been in crashes etc.

Advice much appreciated!

Jon
Definately second hand, £500 buys nowt new these days other than a gas pipe. If you do your home work & are prepared to replace a few bits here & there £500 should but something more than half decent.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Definately second hand, £500 buys nowt new these days other than a gas pipe. If you do your home work & are prepared to replace a few bits here & there £500 should but something more than half decent.

What a load of rubbish (the post, not the £500 bikes). You can get something perfectly reasonable for a monkey.

I would go new - no risks and you get to actually find a model that suits and pick the perfect size!

EYE-TYE-MAD

Yes, a load of rubbish, I couldn't agree more, that's about all you will get for £500 new; no, Iet me rephrase that, about 500 quids worth of Chinese rubbish!!!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
koma-comic-strip-beware-ye-troll-threads.jpg

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

i wouldn't call a specialized Allez a load of rubbish and they can be had for £500

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/detail/12Allez/Allez

and for an extra £50 you can have this

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/Detail/12secteur/secteur/Secteur Triple

siadwell

Guru
Cycling Plus mag this month has a review of 6 bikes in "Bag yourself a brilliant bike for £500" (they stretch the point by taking it up to £599). Doesn't appear to have made it to Bikeradar yet, but I can tell you the winner was the Spesh Allez.

You should also look for last year's models in LBS and online with good discounts.

Dont buy from halfords! theres a reason they are frowned upon. I would rather buy a second hand car from iraq! Most of the other advice people have said seems sound tho.

Top Bottom