Second use of my new trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It had its maiden voyage to work and then onto the supermarket last week, but that's rather boring.

Yesterday I had some problems with my bike and had to come home on the bus.

So today, I hauled that bike home on the trailer with another:

DSC_0381.jpg

It's still painted in slobbery red oxide primer until I'm sure it's exactly how I want it. When I'm sure it'll go to be powder coated.

It's made from scrap tubing I got from a place in Elvington where they make steel furniture frames and the like. Thin-walled where I could get away with it, thicker where I couldn't (the wheel outrigger thingies). Fillet brazed construction - it's hard to do neat welds on round tubes this thin. The steel cost me £3 (to the steel place's tea fund). Gases and brazing rod probably £10; wheels about £15 I think from Burton Bikes (an Ebay seller who seems to be inactive just now). They came with horrible knobbly tyres on, though; decent ones cost me another £10 each. It's probably taken me around 10 to 15 hours' work.

I built it specially to be big enough to carry another bike on it, or to take three folding crates of groceries, or two trombones, or a guitar+amplifier. (It might be able to carry other stuff too...)

The triangulated struts were inspired by Alex Moulton's designs, and they make the trailer very stiff as well as providing handy places to hook bungies or ttie ropes. There's a bit of perforated plate on the back for attaching lights.

DSC_0384.jpg

If you remove the two clevis pins, the drawbar telescopes out and comes off. Remove the wheels and then the whole package fits in a slot 4" wide for storage.

DSC_0385.jpg

I'd just got home from work when I took these, and the dog was desperate to get my attention...

DSC_0393.jpg

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Never mind the trailer, what did the poor dog in the first picture ever do to you?

its the right way up really;)

TimP

RB,

Based on what I've seen on another thread...

If yours is the Revolution trailer/very similar here is how to rack two bikes onto it:

Preparation
Pad the side bars of the trailer
Remove the bike wheels
Turn the bars through right angles

The attaching
Invert the bike, bars to the front of the trailer.
Turn the bars so that they run front to back
Strap the frame to the outside of the trailer with the bars tucked on the inside
Attach a second bike in a similar manner on the other side
Take the four wheels and put the two front wheels into the gap between the bikes.
Take the back wheels and place drop them within the forks, back as far as they will go.
Strap everything down.

Hitch trailer and you are good to go!

(It took a few iterations to find a suitable configuration for fitting two bikes onto the trailer)

I'll try and find a picture of two bikes being towed in such a manner a bit later.

Never mind the trailer, what did the poor dog in the first picture ever do to you?

I agree, it's been shot.

Nice trailer. I've been playing with the idea of a trailer, one which'll take the dog as I'm thinking of ditching my car. I don't suppose the dog ever travels on the trailer though.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Bokonon said:
Nice trailer Phil. What have you used as a hitch??

I made an articulated hitch which is difficult to describe in words alone... It's basically 1" box section steel; no machining involved.

It may be the subject of an article in the forthcoming CC magazine, when I've made another one and photographed the process.

I was going to use a Carry Freedom hitch, which, according to their website, you can buy separately. In practice, though, I haven't been able easily to get one. I got fed up of waiting and starting fiddling with my own design.

The dog has travelled on a trailer (not this one though, a slightly smaller Bykaboose trailer). He has one of those fabric-sided folding travelling box/bed/kennel things. We just strap that onto the flat trailer and he travels inside. The end result is much the same as those trailers you can buy with a fabric dog kennel attachment.

He's heavy, though (20kg) so we're not inclined to take him on tour.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I like it... but couldn't you paint it a nicer colour? How about a dark green to match the base and the bike that was pulling it? (Can you tell I'm a girl:biggrin:)

Bokonon

Über Member
Uncle Phil said:
I made an articulated hitch which is difficult to describe in words alone... It's basically 1" box section steel; no machining involved.

It may be the subject of an article in the forthcoming CC magazine, when I've made another one and photographed the process.

I look forward to seeing that. Your trailer and Gareth's efforts are giving me inspiration to start my own trailer project. I have a good idea of what I am going to do (when I get round to it) but the hitch is the major detail I am yet to sort - I was thinking of using track rod ends.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I thought of that too. But you can't buy them in B&Q, or at my friendly neighbourhood engineering works. The ones I checked out online were expensive. And you still need some sort of quick-release arrangement...

Bokonon

Über Member
RS have reasonably cheap ones. My quick release would have required the use of a spanner or two... I guess being able to detach the trailer easily would be useful when locking up at the supermarket etc.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Excellent trailer Uncle Phil. You should bring it on group rides, as a breakdown truck.:angry: Although you'd have to tow the rider too... Britch Racing green would look nice. Surely it can't clash too badly with anything?

I gather the most simple and basic trailer hitch can be mackled together out of hosepipe and jubilee clips and a few nuts and bolts. I don't know how easily removable they are though...

Top Bottom