Secondhand Specialized Sirrus 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philr

dont know much about second hand bike buying, but i have a 2008 spec sirrus,

and i must say i love it, very comfortable seat, good smooth ride.

some of my friends who are really keen bikers doing various events etc, have had a go on my spec and say its a great bike, and surprisingly light for the money i spent.

i have snapped a spoke recently and have done a forum search and found the sirrus seems to be quite common for spokes breakage etc.

i am sure there are lots of peeps here that can tell you what to look out for with second hand bikes.

regards

phil

OP
OP
G

Greenbread

Cheers Phil,

Got my eye out for a few models, the Sirrus is on the list. Could get it brand new for about £290 in Evans, so may do that if a good 2ndhand offer doesn't pop up.

Flyingfox

Check that the guy has a receipt, if it's this years model he should have proof of purchase. An awful lot of bikes on Gumtree are nicked, and the sellers have a habit of meeting you near a tube station, not at their residence.

Steve B

Flyingfox said:
Check that the guy has a receipt, if it's this years model he should have proof of purchase. An awful lot of bikes on Gumtree are nicked, and the sellers have a habit of meeting you near a tube station, not at their residence.

Indeed - also ask why he is selling it so soon after he bought it, if its a 2009 model he hasn't exactly had it long has he. If he says its not right for him then a bike shop should take it back or exchange it and he wouldn't lose money. If he sells it second hand then he will. As you say, its a cracking bike (I have the 2009 model also) so there should be a good reason for selling it!

N1ck

I would ask for the receipt to show that it is his. Why would you sell a 2009 model bike for a lot less that it is in the shops?

Ask for the bike serial number in advance. You can pay a few quick and check that it's not been reported as stolen with a serial number checking service.

This of course, does not prove that it's not stolen.

Steve B

The 2009 Sirrus Sport is not blue either, its 'soft black' according to the specialized website. Definately need to ask for a piccy of the bike before you even make the effort to go and see it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm boring on the subject of buying 2nd hand and I definitely think it's the way to go, but I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. Just doesn't smell right. Try ebay - at least you can see peoples' feedback there, and swap a few emails to gauge who you'll be dealing with.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
What would happen if you turned up to buy a dodgy bike and, once suspicions verified, just took it? Even if police were summoned I'm sure your superior knowledge of bike would weigh in your favour.......just an idle thought.....even if I did that I couldn't keep it......it would just be to pee off the git that had nicked it. I suppose you could then try and trace owner etc. Hmmm am I getting all 'Robin Hood' here?

OP
OP
G

Greenbread

Sittingduck said:
I wouldn't buy a bike from an ad that uses a stock photo off the internet, as opposed to a pic of the actual bike. Tis a dodgy ad for sure!

I also had this thought... seems like quite the habit on Gumtree.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
[quote name='swee'pea99']I'm boring on the subject of buying 2nd hand and I definitely think it's the way to go, but I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. Just doesn't smell right. Try ebay - at least you can see peoples' feedback there, and swap a few emails to gauge who you'll be dealing with.[/quote]

I've noticed a few dodgy sellers on ebay too though. There's one bloke who was selling about 5 - 8 bikes at the same time, all *with great sadness I am selling this bike* bullsh*t. Along with the terrible spelling, they all stood out nicked like a sore thumb.

Like you say swee'pea - at least you can gauge with the tone of emails/questioning etc.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've reported clearly dodgy ebay sellers, selling clearly stolen bikes. Ebay's response? Unless you're acting from an official position - ie, you're a policeman - we can't (ie won't) do anything.

Top Bottom