security skewers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Having just had my lights and pump nicked (I forgot to take them off this morning), I'm thinking of getting some security skewers for my wheels, as they are quite nice. Are they good? How do they work?

mds101

I don't know if it is all of them, but the ones I had on a bike I bought off a mate had 'odd shaed bolts' like five sided allen key bolts. I guess they work on the principle that most people wont have them and so your wheels are safer.

tbh, my mate had lost his (don't know what he did with a puncture) and it took me all of about 20 seconds to get the wheels off and the skewers out with a pair of mole grips.

Maybe he just had crap ones.

Bodhbh

Guru
I have the Pinhead ones on my workbike:

http://www.pinheadcomponents.com/

You basically have a nut which (in theory) should be almost impossible to get any purchase on without the security key. They seem quiet good - I still have wheels - but there's not cheap, I think 25-40 quid, depending if you just have the skewers for the wheels or have the seatclamp, etc too. I guess you weight that up versus the hassle and expense of a 2nd lock, however, there are cheaper systems that do a similar thing iirc.

Bigtwin

mds101 said:
I don't know if it is all of them, but the ones I had on a bike I bought off a mate had 'odd shaed bolts' like five sided allen key bolts. I guess they work on the principle that most people wont have them and so your wheels are safer.

tbh, my mate had lost his (don't know what he did with a puncture) and it took me all of about 20 seconds to get the wheels off and the skewers out with a pair of mole grips.

Maybe he just had crap ones.

Exactly my experience.

There is onlly one solution - wheels off and D Lock to frame, QR saddle off, take the lights etc with you. Or they WILL go, or get broken when someone tries to make them go.

When I bought my commuter I changed the QR skewers to the Allen key type and touch wood (taps head), the wheels have not been nicked. However I usually lock the D'lock through the frame and rear wheel and if I'm leaving the bike for any period of time I use a Kyrptoflex cable for the front.

Llama

Veteran
some people hose clip the q/r to the frame, otherwise get an allen key skewer - personally I always lock through both wheels

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Bodhbh said:
I have the Pinhead ones on my workbike:

http://www.pinheadcomponents.com/
Pitlock are the other reasonably well known proper security skewer.

Allen key skewers will only protect against the completely unprepared bike thief. Non-hexagonal allen keys (pentagonal, hex with a central pin etc) aren't really much better as most types are readily available, for example as sets of security bits from the likes of Maplin.

redddraggon

Blondie
I've got some on my commuter. I've never had any issues with them, just need to remember to keep the special allen key with me when I got out on that bike incase I get a flat.

iamian

Pitlock are the other reasonably well known proper security skewer.

Allen key skewers will only protect against the completely unprepared bike thief. Non-hexagonal allen keys (pentagonal, hex with a central pin etc) aren't really much better as most types are readily available, for example as sets of security bits from the likes of Maplin.

Thanks for the tip offs - Pinhead and Pitlock look to be the best security skewers, and far more secure and convenient than a second chain lock, you need something much more serious than bolt cutters to penetrate them, plus you don't have to deal with them on a daily basis..
But I found an even better solution - the Sphyke - as secure but has a combination lock.. so no need to carry/replace a key or special adapter/tool.
I just got one for my front wheel and catch the back wheel and frame with the D Lock.

Top Bottom