See that red stuff...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monnet

Guru
Had a moment today on the way home from work, i've not had one for a while so I suppose I was due one and now I'll have a whole load.

I was coming up to a roundabout (bit of afunny one as it is essentially square in shape which actually makes it fairly easy to negotiate). On the approach a BMW driver had one of those 'i must save 3 seconds by overtaking the cyclist at any cost' moments so he flew past. I retook him when we had to stop at a pelican crossing. So I went into the roundabout junction ahead of him.

At the junction I checked right and a car was indicating to turn so I started to move...but they'd got the turn wrong and carried round in front of me, I was forced to do a bit of a quick stop/track stand but I'd anticipated it happening. The thanks I got (not that I was expecting any) was for the fat girl in the passenger seat, fag in one hand and pasty in the other, to flick the v's at me as if I'd done something wrong. The road was now clear so I set off, bemused by what had just happened. At which point...

...the BMW driver (remember him) drove alongside me (on the inside forcing me into the right hand lane) and shouted at me

'see that red stuff, that's for people like you'

As mentioned in threads previously, witticisms and clever ripostes always fail to come to mind on such occassions. Still I let him through - we were taking the same turn and I amused myself with the fact that for all his idiocy he was straight into a traffic jam about a mile and a half long. Which I promptly overtook.

Sometimes I really do think a cull of these idiots is needed. Give them a ton of metal and the loose any brain cells they might previously have been in possession of.

Thank you for allowing me to get that off my chest.

just jim

monnet said:
The thanks I got (not that I was expecting any) was for the fat girl in the passenger seat, fag in one hand and pasty in the other, to flick the v's at me as if I'd done something wrong.

That's the only exercise she got all day.

Sorry to hear about your experience. My Marin Sausagelito is in for a service today so had to get the bus back...not my prefered environ!!!!

just jim

Wait..now I get it! The Red Stuff = cycle path!

Thought you meant blood or something (ketchup?) for a minute.

OP
OP
M

monnet

Guru
just jim said:
Wait..now I get it! The Red Stuff = cycle path!

Thought he meant blood or something (ketchup?) for a minute.

Sorry about that, should have been clearer. My post was one of those stream of conscious moments you get when you have to get something off your chest. With hindsight (wonderful thing) I'd like to know who people like me are. I mean, I love cycling and I'm a member of a club but I wouldn't describe the other guys as 'people like me' the group is just too diverse.

Thanks anyway for your sympathy Jim, I feel for you having to get the bus - not my favoured environ either!

dondare

Über Member
Completely wrong in any case. The purpose of bike lanes is to encourage people to cycle instead of drive. It's not you who should be using them, its fat girl and BMWanker.

Cab

And, of course, cycle lanes are not always installed to be used. They're installed to alert motorists that there may be cyclsits around (as in the case of a really nasty one that appears at the site of a traffic island on Chesterton lane in Cambridge), or they exist purely so that traffic planners can claim they do something for cyclists.

Never give in to pressure to use a cycle lane where to do so increases your risk.

Tetedelacourse

Aye it amazes me that simply being encased in a car is enough to allow the idiocy and w@nkishness in people to surface. I hope that's your dose of it for a while Monnet!

beancounter

magnatom said:
I hope you blew the BMW driver a kiss as you sailed past. That tends to irritate them somewhat.......:biggrin:

I'm a keen cyclist (now commuting to work).
I drive a BMW.
When I'm in my car I know to give my fellow cyclists plenty of room.
We're not all the same, you know.

[dons flameproof jacket, retires to corner]

bc

beancounter said:
I'm a keen cyclist (now commuting to work).
I drive a BMW.
When I'm in my car I know to give my fellow cyclists plenty of room.
We're not all the same, you know.

[dons flameproof jacket, retires to corner]

bc

I wasn't generalising about BMW drivers, just making sure it was obvious my comments were about that particular driver and not the rotund lady that monnet described.

I've came across plenty of good BMW drivers in my time. In fact when I stop next to them I'm nice, and point out that BMWs have been recalled for indicators that don't work properly :biggrin::becool:

Top Bottom