Segregated, none-broken, cycle lanes on all A roads by 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
of course not. I'd rather that half or more of the A14 junctions were closed to motor vehicles and a 50mph speed limit (40mph for artics) imposed. And that way we could save ourselves £1.4bn for the upgrade. Because........and this is where the solipsism of cyclists might do well to take a rest for a few minutes......there's far, far more at stake than the provision of cycle paths. The A14 is suburbanising a vast swathe of land from Suffolk to the East Midlands. That's the big problem.

a 50/40 Mph limit might even mean quicker journeys for motor vehicle users if the average speed cams were used along the whole length . when the cameras came in and the 70 limit was retained the stop start stop start problems went almost overnight but you still get long plugs of traffic behind lorries trying to overtake each other at 55mph

subaqua

What’s the point
oh and day 4 of riding bow roundabout towards stratford and its still got ice on the segregated bit ( it was still there last night at 21.00 and i don't expect the gritting team will ahve been out)

StuartG

slower but further
It has been known since the sixties that around 50 mph maximises the flow of traffic on open roads. Managing the shockwaves (start/stop) is pretty straightforward too. The problem is this type of traffic management appears counter intuitive unless you understand the maths. Not that I would ever suggest that is a problem shared by any Minister of Transport or editor of the Daily Mail ....

Top Bottom