Seized quill stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eighth Man

Any ideas about how to free seized handle bar stem, I have soaked it in WD40 and then whacked the bars, but they still will not move??

dudi

someone will be along in a minute to tell you to use a proper penetrating oil.

wait for it...

dudi

In all seriousness.

Try using a good penetrating oil to loosen the hold the rust (or whatever) has on the quill - then loosen the allen bolt a little (only about 10mm of bolt movement) then use a rubber mallet (or wooden block and normal hammer) then smack the bolt downwards a bit until it frees the lower half of the quill mechanism...

psychalist

Maybe provide some more information about the materials of both frame and stem as this might not be a simple rust issue. I know I have one stuck too and on my other bikes a gentle but sharp downward tap loosens the quill's grip. It may not be the quill that is the problem but corrosion between stem and steerer tube. See the long post on here about the stuck seat post.

ugly

Take off wheel, 'guards etc, up turn the bike and put the stem in a bench vice, padded with rag. Put a piece of wood between the fork blades touching the crown and use as a lever to turn the stem. Once the seal is broken the stem can be removed.

tyred

Legendary Member
I had this with my Rudge at the weekend.

Tighten the stem bolt again to seal it and turn bike upside down, remove front wheel and mudguard. Fill the steering tube with diesel or a penetrating oil of your choice. Leave for a few days to work in. Then fit an old front wheel you don't care about and wedge it into something so it can't move, slacken stem bolt, tap it down with hammer to release the wedge, stand astride the frame and twist and pull handlebars until they come out.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Zippy said:
Oh no - has somebody got a stuck seat post:ohmy:?

Me, me, please sir pick me, I've got one !
;)

gwhite

Über Member
It doe sound like the wedge is stuck in the steering tube. Remove the mudguards and expose the underside of the forks. Use a drift to punch the wedge free upwards from the underside of the forks.

gwhite

Über Member
porkypete said:
Me, me, please sir pick me, I've got one !
;)

In extremis, with the bike upside down, use caustic soda poured down the seat tube from the BB shell. Leave for a half hour or so and this should have eaten away the bond between the seat pin and the seat post. Before trying this, after removing the saddle, you should try clamping the seat post in a vice and then turning the frame as a lever to free the pin.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
good suggestions so far - its the same as a stuck seatpost - there's been many a thread on here.

See

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

galvanic corrosion between Aluminium and steel - same happened on an old carlton I got several years back. A quick visit to the workshop a tug in a vice and hey presto. Been commuting on said bike ever since (about 80000km) use grease and you won't have that problem again.

Good luck

OP
OP
The Eighth Man

The Eighth Man

tyred said:
I had this with my Rudge at the weekend.

Tighten the stem bolt again to seal it and turn bike upside down, remove front wheel and mudguard. Fill the steering tube with diesel or a penetrating oil of your choice. Leave for a few days to work in. Then fit an old front wheel you don't care about and wedge it into something so it can't move, slacken stem bolt, tap it down with hammer to release the wedge, stand astride the frame and twist and pull handlebars until they come out.
It is fixed, the old front wheel is the answer, I used some good penetrating oil and gave it a good twist with out worry of twisting my good wheels. The handle bar stem and seat post are now well greased, that is the problem with buying an old road bike you never know if it has ever been used or maintained.

lmow20

If it ain't titanium, it's not that cool.
hi all.
I have the same problem. I have fitted an old wheel and it now swivels very stiffly. Doesn't seem to be improving (strangely). Where to next? I am limited for tools. Like clamps etc.

Top Bottom