Self Defence for cyclists!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Prompted by one or two recent posts about cyclists being threatened and assaulted, thought I would put up links that may help cylists defend themselves if required.
The first is a history lesson.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jimmy_fatwing/SelfProtection/cycle.htm

Some useful information in there for the fixed riders amongst us! Very old peice but still useful for today!

I will try and dig up some useful video links too!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's great, thanks! Enjoying the article muchly.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Sometimes a cyclist needs protection from the arm of the law, as when he finds himself many miles from home at lighting-up time, and without a lamp. Many and ingenious are the devices which cyclists have been known to adopt on such occasions of pressing need. A Chinese lantern, if obtainable, and a bit of candle will save the situation; though I cannot recommend the idea of the man who collected all the glow-worms he could find on the roadside, and carried them triumphantly before him in a handkerchief in place of a lamp!

But here is a simple and reliable method for overcoming the difficulty. Let the benighted cyclist obtain a bottle — there should be no great difficulty in this in a civilised country — and a piece of candle. An ordinary white glass bottle with a long neck is best for this purpose. Then let him knock a hole in the bottom of the bottle, light the candle, and push it up the bottle's neck.
An excellent light, even though only of one candle power, is thus given, and the cyclist, holding out his bottle before him, may ride on boldly without fear of falling foul of the law.

ive seen some strange sights but this would beat them all

Glow worm

Legendary Member
QUOTE: though I cannot recommend the idea of the man who collected all the glow-worms he could find on the roadside, and carried them triumphantly before him in a handkerchief in place of a lamp!

I bloomin well hope not! These amazing creatures are a protected species and mustn't ever be moved as they won't survive. So there. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
"To deliver a blow whilst riding — say, at the head of an objectionable small boy who has been indulging in the dangerous practice of throwing a cap at your wheel, and stands in need of punishment"

Excellent - it seems there have always been chavs...

irontam

Nearly every cyclist carries a weapon on his machine which, under many circumstances, he may use with great effect: a strong, long, heavy metal pump offers as convenient a weapon as one could desire. Let the rider who is threatened by a foot-pad flourish his pump in his assailant's face, and he will be surprised how quickly and precipitously the assailant jumps back. A formidable blow could be delivered in a man's face with a heavy pump, especially when riding at speed.

Replace heavy metal pump with U-lock and assailant with hoodie and it's still relevant.

GAVSTER

Absolutely loved this ... fantastic stuff.

I shall look out for errant young boys in the process of cap throwing in future ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I was only thinking the other evening, watching a period drama, that the phrase "damn your eyes, sir" is sadly neglected these days. I'm thinking of trying to use it more and get it back into current usage. I shall start by aiming it at objectionable young boys.

Downward

Guru
Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Top Bottom