Selle Italia SLR - Warranty Issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboytaylor

Right, have I been a wally or should I send this back? My guess is the former :laugh:.

Purchased a Selle Italia SLR Gelflow from CRC. Put it on my bike Saturday. Have ridden c. 30 miles on it. Rode to work this morning. Locked bike up outside work today.

It rained. Quite a lot.

Got home this evening and noticed that the thin first layer of the covering is peeling off where my right cheek has been.

Now, have I been a fool for putting a posh leather-covered saddle on my bike and leaving it in the rain or can I expect it to last a bit better than it has? Should I give CRC a ring and see what they say?

Cheers

Noodley

Not fit for purpose IMO. It's a saddle, it will get wet.

bonj2

is it comfy though? i just ordered one. not the gel one though.
which exact model did you get?

anyhow I'd be tempted to agree with noodley. If it didn't say anything in the instructions about not getting it wet especially you should have a good case for not fit for purpose.

It's not just the fact that it's leather. I've got a brooks and it's got very wet before and suffered no ill effects - i do proofide it though. maybe that might work with the Selle italia? (in future)
but anyhow, a saddle that can't survive wet is no use really.

OP
OP
theboytaylor

theboytaylor

bonj said:
is it comfy though? ............
which exact model did you get?
I got this one,in blue:

It was pretty comfy, actually. Fairly hard but seemed to be quite accommodating over potholes. I've used the C2 previously and on a longer ride (50 miles+) it starts to become a bit uncomfortable.

I've only ridden down to the shops a couple of times and then to work yesterday, so can't really compare yet.

I also think it's not fit for purpose if it's going to peel. Doesn't say "don't get it wet" on the warranty. In fact, it says it has been tested in the most extreme conditions. Maybe I'll proof the replacement, if I get one!

e-rider

crappy member
All saddles will get wet from time to time. My Fizik Arione has only done about 1000 miles and it 'looks' very old indeed. Perhaps modern saddles just don't stay looking fresh for very long. One ride is quite poor though!

Top Bottom