Selle Italia SLR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
Thought I'd treat myself to a new saddle to go with the new bike and after much umming and urring I went for the SLR.

I've been riding an arione for the previous six months or so and been reasonably happy with it. I like the way you can slide around on it, and the width suits my bum. But I found that, depending on the angle, I either slid forwards and put excessive weight on my arms or I couldn't roll my hips forward and get good posture without putting too much pressure downstairs. Despite that I've managed a 140 mile ride on it without any trouble down below. Though I do think it has contributed to my shoulder/neck pain.

The SLR is a different beast. It is similar in width but much flatter, and missing the raised back end. It is also much less padded and lighter.
I took it for a 50 mile spin this morning and first impressions are promising.
It is a lot harder and it very much feels as if you are sitting on rather than in it in comparison to the arione (if that makes sense). My sitbones seem to sit on the slightly raised areas on the rear and take more pressure than on the arione, and the surrounding area seems to take a lot less. Similar to the toupe which I briefly tried (albeit in the wrong size) in this respect.

The edges are very sharp and I was worried about chafing but when you are in the sweet spot it seems fine. The sides very definitely flex as you pedal which I feel compensates for the hardness. When getting aero there is not excessive pressure and the nose is reasonably comfortable. I would not want to ride it without padded shorts but I am not atall sore afterwards.

It does feel pretty flimsy, and it was bloody expensive, so I hope it lasts.
Looks good though and I'm optimistic about the comfort.
I am 5ft 9 and about 8st 10, so pretty skinny, if it makes any difference.

Top Bottom