Semaine Federale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Have just booked for the Semaine Federale, this year at Flers, lower Normandy. This annual event may have up to 15000 riders and quite a number come from the UK. Daily tours are on offer for the six days radiating out from Flers. Look for me there!

the snail

Guru
Looks like great fun, if my schoolboy french is right there are day trips, randonees and road races? Great way to explore Normandy

OP
OP
Brommyboy

Brommyboy

Über Member
Not road races, but routes to do each day. Apart from very good maps provided, the roads are marked with paper arrows stuck down, easily visible except for any rainy day (there is usually one such!). French is not essential but useful - I get by with odd words and gestures.

the snail

Guru
Am I right in thinking you need CTC membership to book, or doi you need to join the FFTC.? How much does it cost for camping + rides (I don't have membership no. to go through the booking system) I'm very tempted, but I need to budget for the trip before I decide

OP
OP
Brommyboy

Brommyboy

Über Member
As A CTC member there is no additional cost. Registration is E28, repatriation insurance (optional) E18, camping E33 for about 10 days. No need to purchase meal vouchers until after arrival. Brittany Ferries £122 return for night sailing (incl. reclining chair seat, not berth) from Portsmouth to Caen. Distance in France about 60 km to Flers, several campsites between the two.
SF2011-Flers
Hope that helps!

yello

With that number of people attending/riding, definitely not my scene. I've seen pics of some of the rides and whilst it can be perfect countryside in ideal weather, just the thought of being in such a procession of cyclists leaves me nonplussed. But I fully accept I'm a miserable and unsociable git. People that go (and some of my club mates do) love it.

OP
OP
Brommyboy

Brommyboy

Über Member
The amazing thing is that, except for climbs, there is no crowd - just a string of solo cyclists or small clusters of club riders! There are about 4 rides per day, perhaps only half of the attendees out, and as they start riding any time from 6am to about 10am, crowds do not really appear! Personally, I get up and go before 7am so as to do whatever distance I choose and return to the permanance around 2pm, so as to avoid the heat of the day.

For added information.

The online booking form is now up and running for those interested in going to the Semaine Federal at Flers. The booking form is not on the SF2011 website which tells you all about the event. It is at: http://ffct-prod.cvf.fr/servlet/Man_GPinscriptionDossier?NUM_MANIF=52&TYPE_SAISIE=GP <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

If you have a problem filling in French forms I have put some notes here that may be of help: http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/sfassist.html

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A group from our club went last year and must have enjoyed it as they are going again this year.From what they said its pretty much what you make it you chose how far to ride etc.

dccbysea

Looking forward to it !
I'll be doing a mix of on and off road rides, but all on my Orange Kona MTB. I'll probably also be wearing my yellow Mavic shoes, so say hi if you spot me.

yello

Yes, but then I'm only around 400km away. It's a bit of a hike this year for UK based riders, Albi is near on 1000km from Calais.

Top Bottom