Sending a Bike Through the Post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm selling a bike on eBay which will needed to be posted, has anyone done this, and how did you get it delivered?

thanks in advance to all who can help. :becool:

yello

I sold an MTB that JUST went by Parcel Force... it was very close to the length limit and was told it might be refused by the driver. I sussed out options at the time and Parcel Force was the cheapest/most convenient.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I've got it packaged up at the moment, but it's over Parcelforce's limit by 42cm, and most couriers want about fifty quid to send it.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I introduced the box to my friend Mr Stanley Knife, and now it's just under the Parcelforce limit luckily.

squeaker

Über Member
I've used (and can recommend) Nightfreight. Initially a bit of a palaver, as you have to set up an account with them, but worth the effort if you are likely to be sending a few items a year, IMHO.

Danny

Legendary Member
Apologies if you have already thought of this, but have you tried taking the wheels off the bike, which will make the length of the package shorter? Obviously you would have to wrap them in something protective and stack them on top of the frame.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It was a couple years ago but I sent a bike, in a standard bike box from the LBS, using Royal Mail Standard Parcels. Good price even with £600 insurance. It was just in the size limit, and a couple kgs under the weight limit- although these may well have changed subsequently.

02GF74

Über Member
I've done it - remove both wheels from bike and place either side of main triangle. remove stem and bars and cable tie to fram. remove seatpost and saddle. remove rear derialluer and cabel tie.

as ^^^^ say, get box from bike shop - they should have loads as all bikes are packed in them and then it saves them hassle throwing them away - the boxes that is.

check the dimensions wot parcel farce want and you should be able to do it, trimming the box down as required.

e-rider

crappy member
It's simple? Go to your LBS and get a standard bike box - they usually just bin them. Pack the bike VERY well - you'll need to remove the wheels and seatpost and twist the bars, and remove the pedals.

The key is to pack it very very well - the couriers/Parcel Force just throw them about in the truck.

Once it's all packed, take it to your local Parcel Force depo and hand over the cash. Parcel Force 48 was about for a bike £24 plus extra for insurance; if it's an expensive bike I'd go for it - it is an extra £12 though!

I'm sure there are cheaper couriers out there - long on to YELL.com and give a few a ring - good luck!

e-rider

crappy member
Well, in theory Royal Mail will take bikes - they are usually just within their size and weight limit, however, they will not accept them!!! Figure that out if you can - makes no sense to me either.

simonali

Guru
When I was in the bike shop the other day someone ordered a Marin Indian Fire Trail over the phone and the delivery charge quoted by the assistant was £50 + VAT!

Sod that, I would've gone and collected it rather than pay all that.

Top Bottom