Serious suggestions please!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

All that psycho-babble may well have some basis in truth wafflycat, but is it right for the lad to lose out whilst his mother wallows in cakes and self-pity?

Use some tough love - have the kid to stay and get him outside on a bike. He may well enjoy himself to such a degree that he goes home and starts to rebel against his mothers lazy lifestyle, forcing her off the sofa and out into the nasty shivery fresh air!

Bren

bonj2

Social Services. Compile a catalogue of evidence, first. But if that doesn't work, then it might be time to be cruel-to-be-kind - buy a large amount of formaldehyde, call Damien Hirst and let him get to work.

Bigtallfatbloke

it's not about the Mum it's about the kid. Put yourself in his shoes...he must be aware that Mum is fat and that her views are affecting him. He loves his Mum so it's going to take nerve to go against her views at his young age. Does she want to be like his friends and ride a bike etc? If so what is stopping him? Illiminate that barrier and he will do it for himself...if he wants to.

Her chest infections are most likely caused by her immune system being overloaded by all the crap (I typed carp at first and thought it looked a bit odd) she eats to make her 23 stone.

Whilst I agree with Wafflycat's sentimenst in that obesity is not just caused by laziness (I speak with some authority here as I am clinically obese myself), I would diagree with the statement that it is it "rarely to do with laziness". In my opinion, it is largely to do with laziness (pun intended).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What about persuading her its not for riding on roads ... just off-road trails... like the Forest of Dean etc... then once he has mastered riding and hopefully caught the bug, then he could move towards roads (but no need to mention that yet!!!:blush:). Otherwise he could end up being a very inactive adult:sad:.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
User76 said:
She has a small son, my nephew, who is 9 on sunday. He cannot swim, he cannot ride a scooter and, are you ready, he can't ride a bike:ohmy: I have offered to get him a bike for his b'day (he needs at least 24"),

At 9, I could not ride scooter or bike, nor could I swim. How tall is he? I am 6'4" and ride a 25" frame - he must be a giant to need a 24"!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I dont see anything wrong with teaching the kid to ride a bike, without his mother having anything to do with it.
Maybe you could a have a heart to heart with her, tell her that the kid could turn out to be like her.
He doesnt have to ride the bike to school. Just going out on it with friends after school is enough. Going in fields and in big parks will be enough. No need to go on roads.

bonj2

mr_hippo said:
At 9, I could not ride scooter or bike, nor could I swim. How tall is he? I am 6'4" and ride a 25" frame - he must be a giant to need a 24"!

I think he probably means 24" wheels.

ChrisKH

Guru
bonj said:
:biggrin: it never is, is it - it never is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course it is bonj but I think what wafflycat was trying to say is there are underlying (possibly mental) reasons why she is fat. We know she eats too much, but it's never that simple. Unless you're a man.

wafflycat

Trembler49 said:
Whilst I agree with Wafflycat's sentimenst in that obesity is not just caused by laziness (I speak with some authority here as I am clinically obese myself), I would diagree with the statement that it is it "rarely to do with laziness". In my opinion, it is largely to do with laziness (pun intended).

What I actually said was, "rarely is it pure laziness with nothing more involved." which is a bit of a different emphasis.

Top Bottom