Sex Pistols...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Noodley said:
...as much as Lydon is a complete tit:

Yip. I can't stand people like him, they have a great life, loads of money and still whine and act like spoiled children. Wouldn't buy their records because I don't want to give the clown any money.

Get over yourself Johny, you're just not 'that' importaint.

Now Genesis had 'real' talent... although Phill Collins is a little bit of an idiot too ;0)

The idea that the Pistol's were in any way "crap" has always struck me as perverse. They were the most polished and best produced of all the seminal punk bands. Glen Matlock, particularly, was (is) a highly accomplished musician and an uncommonly talented songwriter.

Ironically, they suffered and succeeded through the influence of Malcom Maclaren. Without him, the Pistols as we know them almost certainly wouldn't have existed. With him they were condemned to a short-lived career as fashion side-show.

Only the Clash and the Vibrators really bear comparison and both are different rather than better or worse. The Dead Kennedys, alas, were little more than Californian, precious-punk pretenders. Nice pop songs, for sure, but hardly in the same league of chugging, firey, rage.

f

Jaded

Pistols and PiL

Two great bands.

Leftfield Lydon - a great collaboration.

He's a genius.

PS Genesis were Peter Gabriel and some session musicians.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
I more or less 'missed' the punk era, unfortunately, as I was too busy poncing around to Genesis, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Yes etc. ;)

Last night I listened to, amongst other things, Relayer by Yes and, in keeping with the thread, one side of Album by PIL. Spooky finding this thread this morning.

MrPig, Genesis were crap.

dan_bo said:
Horsepoo. Soapbox, now.

If only it were still there.

Don't get me wrong, the Kennedys are great fun. Intelligent, competent and interesting (a touch arch, lyrically though). But they didn't even get started until the Pistols et al had defined the punk landscape, and hardly deviated from the record industry-approved formula.

In a fight, my money would be on Matlock and Lydon. In the courts, probably Jello and Ray (if they weren't suing each other).

At least John Lydon went on to do consistently challenging - and different - work.

f

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
<prompted by alec's backing>

Look Fecker, The DK's at their best, were a gnarling, gnashing starling beast of a force punctuated by superb humour and piquant societal/political observations.

The pistols were, at their best, fashionable pop whores.

I'll agree with you on lydon's progress though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd rate Anarchy In The Uk as one of my favourite records from the seventies. I've got Never Mind The Whatsits and apart from one or two tracks most of it is very average.

dan_bo said:
<prompted by alec's backing>
The pistols were, at their best, fashionable pop whores.

Well yes. Of course. But they created the fashion. Or at least were part of its creation.

The Kennedys, for all their art-school cool, merely followed a trail blazed by others. Angry rebellion conforming to accepted industry guidelines. Bloody good songs though.

f

yello

feckless said:
They were the most polished and best produced of all the seminal punk bands.

Agreed. Listen to 'Never Mind the Bollocks' and, lyrics aside, you hear one helluva tight rock and roll band (sorry, My Lydon).

The Stranglers were no clowns either.

User1314 said:
II 'm standing on the top of a crane, legs tied to a rope. I look down. All I see is a concrete car-park.

I take it you survived! ;)

Genesis with Peter Gabriel, IMO, were unrivalled in that genre, possibly even of their generation, but when he left and Phil Collins took over the mike, they became, very rapidly, a second-rate band!

Not real punk bands, but I liked the Stranglers and The Pogues in the early 80s, but enjoyed most music except for disco (80s disco music was dire rea! :sad:), soul, and cuntry and western! :o)

Rock, reggae, folk, trance and chill-out are my prefered genres nowadays.

Mr Pig

Dayvo said:
Genesis with Peter Gabriel, IMO, were unrivalled in that genre, possibly even of their generation, but when he left and Phil Collins took over the mike, they became a second-rate band!

I agree, but they still had moments of clarity with albums such as Trick Of The Tail. Man they got crap as the years went by though! Phil Collins just disappeared up his own behind.

Dayvo said:
I more or less 'missed' the punk era, unfortunately, as I was too busy poncing around to Genesis, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Yes etc. :sad:

One day I'll sit down with youtube and re-live' the punk era. Might even put a safety-pin through my lip for the extra authenticity. :biggrin:

Tangerine Dream, Gong, David Vorhaus, Hawkwind - far too many good bands.

Top Bottom