Shall I cycle to The Dark Side of the Moon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I used to live in dartford and cycled into work most days, its ok going, do it.

BNP Moved from Welling Years ago. Probably because all the Nigerians moved in

Lower Belvedere or Upper Belvedere?

ChrisKH

Guru
That's a mirror trip of my extended commute C of G, but I'm normally north of the river. It's a pity there's no bike route across the QEII bridge.

walker

User1314 said:
My site visit will be to a campus inbetween Erith Road and Franks Park.

Good to know you are aware of the area, Walker.

I will do it.

Once over Blackfriars Bridge I could wend my way east and just catch the A205/A206 all the way there...

but nothing beats local knowledge if you have any tips...

...actually, it will be an additional 26 miles on top of my daily commute of 24 miles. But I should be able to get away an hour early to go home.

Plenty of chicken for me that evening.

Dartford to Belvedere just keep to thames Road, its an A road but its fine to ride on.

Belvedere to London, just head towards Plumstead then onto woolwuich, greenwich etc. Only problem is on the return, you have to come p a big hill to get to upper belvedere, it was used in the TdF last year, and wasn't a classified hill, trust me it should of been

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
ChrisKH said:
That's a mirror trip of my extended commute C of G, but I'm normally north of the river. It's a pity there's no bike route across the QEII bridge.

Don't they drive you across ? Although I was driving over one day and the security (?) had stopped a cyclist 3/4 of the way up the Essex side. I find Tower Bridge enough of a hill. That would be a mountain for me to pedal. :biggrin:

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
walker said:
Dartford to Belvedere just keep to thames Road, its an A road but its fine to ride on.

Belvedere to London, just head towards Plumstead then onto woolwuich, greenwich etc. Only problem is on the return, you have to come p a big hill to get to upper belvedere, it was used in the TdF last year, and wasn't a classified hill, trust me it should of been

Seconded on that! (I took an excellent photo of the TdF there) It's like most of the hills if you find yourself in Lower Belvedere and have to get out, otherwise take a long route round to avoid the worst ones.

User1314,

Going from Belvedere to Kingston I can help out as far as Croydon but there is no really direct route and my daily route to Bromley is mainly back roads and could get you well and truly lost and confused!

Having said that, I'm off work next week and could show you the route to Croydon on your first day if you want? Hopefully it won't be Monday (Bank Holiday) as that's my first day off having finished nights. No problem if it is though, gives me an excuse to get up earlyish!

If you want to e-mail me and I'll let you have my contact details to arrange times and places.

ChrisKH

Guru
mr_cellophane said:
Don't they drive you across ? Although I was driving over one day and the security (?) had stopped a cyclist 3/4 of the way up the Essex side. I find Tower Bridge enough of a hill. That would be a mountain for me to pedal. :rolleyes:

I remember years ago before the bridge when I was touring that we put our bikes on a commercial tow truck and were taken through the tunnel. I didn't think they had an arrangement for the bridge or tunnels anymore as they are now Motorway routes. But I could be wrong.

I do recall spending the best part of a day doing the tunnel route once when I was 14 and touring. We got to Royal Tunbridge Wells and then found out we could have saved ourselves half a day by taking a ferry from Tilbury to Gravesend. Not sure if this still runs either.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
ChrisKH said:
I didn't think they had an arrangement for the bridge or tunnels anymore as they are now Motorway routes

They are not motorway - the M25 ends at the junction before and resumes at the junction after. In between, it becomes an A-road. This is deliberate, to allow non-motorway traffic to cross the river.

I don't know whether there is any separate prohibition on bicycles, though.

Ben

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
OT
An old friend of mine installed the small wind turbines that power the lights right on the top of the masts..*shudders*
And on a clear day you can see the QE2 bridge from the top of Crystal Palace.

Top Bottom