1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shamal Lateral Movement

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Stwutter, 5 Apr 2008.

1. Stwutter

Stwutter New Member

What is an accepatble amount of lateral movement on a rear wheel (Campag Shamal)?

I don't mean in the 'truing' sense - I mean if you grab the tyre and try and move the wheel side-to-side whilst in the frame.

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Do you mean lateral flex?

some wheels flex more than others. Wouldn't really like more than a mm either way tbh

3. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

Speaking of which, my rear wheel seems to flex when I stand on my pedals. Why would this be?

PS Apols to Stwutter for hijacking the thread, but I figured any flex experts on the forum are going to hone in his OP.

4. Stwutter

Stwutter New Member

Not flex, no. Just a slight movement in the frame when I grab the wheel at the top and 'wobble it', so to speak. It's about 1mm each way, but not flex. Just movement.

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

You need to adjust the bearings if it's not flex otherwise you could damage them

6. Stwutter

Stwutter New Member

Adjust in what way?

7. fossyant

Depending upon the hub (I'm no campag expert)

If it's a cup and cone type then you can undo the non-drive side of the axel and tighten up slightly (using cone spanners 15/16mm) For cartridge bearings like Mavic Aksium / Ksyrium you can do something similar, and it tightens up the play - depends upon the manufacturer on how this is done though.

8. Stwutter

Stwutter New Member

Ok. they're 2007 Shamals. I've got the campag instructions.

9. Stwutter

Stwutter New Member

Had a shufty it at it... I've been mucking around with cassettes, freewheel bodies and all sorts this week. After checking it over, I undid the hub lock-nut on the non-drive side and screwed it in again, and re-tightened it, and hey-preso - no movement.

10. fossyant

Bingo !