Shamal Lateral Movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stwutter

What is an accepatble amount of lateral movement on a rear wheel (Campag Shamal)?

I don't mean in the 'truing' sense - I mean if you grab the tyre and try and move the wheel side-to-side whilst in the frame.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Do you mean lateral flex?

some wheels flex more than others. Wouldn't really like more than a mm either way tbh

Danny

Legendary Member
Speaking of which, my rear wheel seems to flex when I stand on my pedals. Why would this be?

PS Apols to Stwutter for hijacking the thread, but I figured any flex experts on the forum are going to hone in his OP.

OP
OP
Stwutter

Stwutter

Steve Austin said:
Do you mean lateral flex?

some wheels flex more than others. Wouldn't really like more than a mm either way tbh

Not flex, no. Just a slight movement in the frame when I grab the wheel at the top and 'wobble it', so to speak. It's about 1mm each way, but not flex. Just movement.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depending upon the hub (I'm no campag expert)

If it's a cup and cone type then you can undo the non-drive side of the axel and tighten up slightly (using cone spanners 15/16mm) For cartridge bearings like Mavic Aksium / Ksyrium you can do something similar, and it tightens up the play - depends upon the manufacturer on how this is done though.

OP
OP
Stwutter

Stwutter

fossyant said:
Depending upon the hub (I'm no campag expert)

If it's a cup and cone type then you can undo the non-drive side of the axel and tighten up slightly (using cone spanners 15/16mm) For cartridge bearings like Mavic Aksium / Ksyrium you can do something similar, and it tightens up the play - depends upon the manufacturer on how this is done though.

Ok. they're 2007 Shamals. I've got the campag instructions.

OP
OP
Stwutter

Stwutter

Had a shufty it at it... I've been mucking around with cassettes, freewheel bodies and all sorts this week. After checking it over, I undid the hub lock-nut on the non-drive side and screwed it in again, and re-tightened it, and hey-preso - no movement.

Top Bottom