Shanties and Sea Songs....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Noodley, 7 May 2010.

1. Noodley

Noodley Guest

....currently on BBC4.

What a great programme. Much beardiness and wool jumperiness in evidence....

2. sticky sherbert

sticky sherbert Well-Known Member

:thumbsup::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

3. OP
    OP
    Noodley

Noodley Guest

...oh, you've just reminded me...

And wooly hatiness :thumbsup:

4. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

Much rubbie chinniness g'wan?

5. bobg

bobg Über Member

I turned in on when somebody was saying what a wonderful old sea shanty "Shoals of Herring " was. I may be wrong but I'm sure it was written by Ewan McColl in the 60's. Still enjoyd the prog though. Is it just me or does that bloke look out of place wherever he goes?

6. OP
    OP
    Noodley

Noodley Guest

He looks like David Cameron's love child....out of place and uncomfortable unless being spanked by a Latin master.

7. bobg

bobg Über Member

:thumbsup::biggrin: Spot on

8. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

*Sung to the Bridal procession tune*

Here comes the bride, fifty meters wide, she slid down the bannister and into the Clyde HEY!

TAXI!!

9. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

This may be the same link but here's Shoals of Herring, which Ewan MacColl wrote:

http://www.peggyseeger.com/ewan-maccoll/videos/the-shoals-of-herring-sung-by-ewan-maccoll

Worth it for the pictures.

Notice the line "You can swear and show a manly bearing"? There may have been bad language but I bet there wasn't any of the vandalism, drunken violence (or not on the scale we see it now) and drugs that blight our towns and cities now. The problem now is that young men whose veins are pumping with testosterone have nothing to do, in the days when Britain had worthwhile industries there were macho jobs with the same cameraderie that you saw on the programme last night, something a young lad could do, earn respectable money and feel he belonged.. I bet his elders would have kept him in check too. What choices does he have nowadays? Some McJob like selling coffee or flogging insurance in a call centre, FFS.

10. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

11. Renard

Renard Guest

12. BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

Check out BK's sig link:becool:

13. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

14. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

15. Thanks Noodle's just watched it on i Player very good though did feel that the presenter chap did seem a little over enthuseastic at times.

Edit. Did make me want to take up the tin whisle again though <reaches behind me>.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice