Shared cycle path.....everyone is OK!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
A few weeks ago Benb started a new topic and posted a video with this comment:- "So for those who remember our friend who ran down a pedestrian on a path, I thought I'd show him how it should be done..."
The topic turned a bit crazy and is now locked but the video stayed with me and it popped into my head just before this encounter earlier today:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XW4-mkBECZg

I rang my bell just after looking down (to check where the bell was believe it or not) and the mother rang her bell twice, I guess as a signal for the kids to move over. I nearly went for it twice but managed to do the right thing and hang back for a few more seconds.

I think I would have acted differently if I hadn't seen Benb's video so thanks for that! Made me think that a bunch of good practice video's on a sticky might be a good idea?

snorri

Legendary Member
That sort of scene is quite normal in the UK, but almost unknown in mainland Europe, we seem to like it that way.:smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
That sort of scene is quite normal in the UK, but almost unknown in mainland Europe, we seem to like it that way.:smile:

I'd disagree there. Some Germans, particularly the more senior ones as experienced this summer, are not adherents to lane discipline.

Dave Crampton

We cycle from Dalgety Bay to Aberdour on the SW Fife coast, with our boys aged 3 & 5 and have similar incidents, where I try to control my wayward sons as they weave all over the path. At least I have managed to get them to ding their bell when they see others, though they don't always pass at a sensible speed, but they do stop at turns and junctions.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
You're welcome. Glad to be of service.

Yes, that thread did get a bit, er, enthusiastic.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I regularly ride along past the spot where Taypet21 had his infamous 'Big Mama' crash. The other weekend I was approaching it from the opposite direction (helmet cam run out of juice :whistle: , but I was almost home anyway), when from the bushes about 5m in front a jogger suddenly appeared having taken the 'unofficial' short cut from main road to railway path through said bushes. Wearing an MP3 player, he merrily jogged along, never once looking behind, presumably safe in his own little jogging space-time bubble that must be seperate from the real world. He never looked as he jumped through the bushes and certainly failed to hear my bell :angry: . I just gave him a black look as I rode past.

Having said that, ped and cyclist collisions are rare on any shared path. But I do think that peds should always look around every while just to check where things are. It's just basic safety.

Having said that, ped and cyclist collisions are rare on any shared path. But I do think that peds should always look around every while just to check where things are. It's just basic safety.

Dun Dun Daaaaaaaa!!!! (Said in a comedy voice)

If I'm walking on the the path I dont expect to have to look around every while just in case a cyclist is approaching from behind, its their responsibility to let me know their coming not an expectation on their part that I will look around 'every while' and see them.

I'll give you this though that if they hear a bell/hello/lookout! they should look as thats only common sense.

I'll give you this though that if they hear a bell/hello/lookout! they should look as thats only common sense.

My typical experience:

Me: Ding ding
Walker:
Me: DING DING
Walker:
Me: (passing walker) Good morning/afternoon/evening
Walker: (jumping in surprise) You gave me the shock of my life - you should have a bell on that bike

A bell is only any use if someone is listening.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My typical experience:

Walker:
Walker:
Walker: (jumping in surprise) You gave me the shock of my life - you should have a bell on that bike

Ditto but it's my voice rather than a bell.

lol @ Red Light, its so true. I don't have a bell but get exactly the same thing on a Canal Tow Path near me, except instead of "ding" its "hello... hello... sorry! (as they jump)"

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I have the same happen to me. MP3 players are probably responsible for a lot of accidents. But on most shared use paths, I find a quick ding ding on the bell is all thats needed.

Whenever I'm a ped on the railway path, I find a cursory glance over my shoulder lets me know that a group of cyclists are approaching from 200 yards etc. I'm not suggesting that peds should do this continually, but should be done when entering the path or if you intend to cross over from left to right and vice versa. I suspect many collisions happen due to sudden changes in direction ie. people suddenly step sideways. I have had near-misses like this, even when riding slowly and giving a few dings on the bell, some people inexplicably still almost step into you.

I guess some people just have a poor sense of spatial awareness.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
My typical experience:

Walker:
Walker:

So very true...
When with my bubs, we reguarly ride the coastal path, most is segregated, but part of it was recently made shared use and signed Pedestrians Have Priority.
I have lost count of the amount "oh you scared me" momenst we've had, #3 rides in front, he will ring his bell as he approaches peds from behind, this is not a get out my way ring but a i'm behind you, don't step out ring he always shouts a cheery "Thank You" as he passes, I give a little ping on mine, just to let them know there is another bike right behind, #2 loves ringing his bell & shouting "Hello" to everyone & anyone he passes (He's also quite good at LOUDLY pointing out that people are rude for not replying) But for whatever reason it's his trailer seems to scare the life out of peds.. I pass, he will ring his bell, but the extra 6foot of bike behind me is obvioulsy a terrifying sight to some, from the exclamamtions that I hear!

Top Bottom