she's leaving home.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

general sadness. Actually grief and oblivion (and anybody who's read that one will get an idea of the scale of things).

The Kid has decided to leave home. I'm playing the song at full volume approximately 25 hours a day. When she emerges from her room I throw myself on the floor and cry, beating my fists against the carpet.

This is the end. I've been a parent for 32 years. A sustained campaign of breakfast in bed 'yes, sweetie, a tequila sunrise with your crunchy nut cornflakes, no problem' is in the offing, followed by 'oh, well, at least I can make love to your mother on the stairs/sofa/dining table when you're gone'. It's not going to work. If ever there was a child (hark at me) who knew her own mind, this is it. This immense part of my life will pass in to shade.

How Susie will cope I've no idea. I've never been under any illusion - The Kid is her number one, and I'm a distant second.

It's not as if she lives in our pockets now. She's out and away as much time as she is home. The truth is, though, that even if we don't see her for days on end, there's a presence around the place. The room we're not supposed to go in. The washing that accumulates on her floor. The odd stuff in the fridge. The matches disappearing. The friends calling up. The cat sleeping on her bed during the afternoon, appearing, somehow to be both waiting for her and making sure that we don't take him for granted. But, when she comes round to see us, it will be a new person, someone who lives elsewhere, coming from their place, to our place which is that much less because she's not here.

It's been the most wonderful thing, being a step-parent. I can thoroughly recommend it. There's a hundred, or a thousand small moments that will light up what remains of my memory. It's the new present I worry about. I'm not sure we know how not to be looking after somebody.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ask her to bring the leaving date forward as you want to rent her room out.

That'll make her think...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
"Meeting a man in the motor trade". That line always gets me and our kid is still very much at home. It must be hard. Best wishes to you all.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it is the best line of all. Sheepskin coat. 2.4litre Jag. Faintly unreliable.

no.1 daughter's in the family way, Archie, and that, of course, is part of a new future. And there's the niece and nephew who are as sweet as sweet can be (TC's met them) and would love to be taken round the Courtauld Institute for a ride on the London Eye. All good and well, but not the same thing as having a real live kid in the house, one that you've watched grow from a little thing to somebody slightly more sophisticated than yourself. We're going to need a new geometry.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've not lived through it as a parent, but I do remember the shocking effect that my departure had on my parents!

I ended up not leaving home until I was 28 - probably a common thing now with the housing shortages and the economic situation being what it is, but definitely old for those days. My 2 sisters had married and moved out years before, in their teens, but I'd stayed on.

I finally decided to go back to university (having originally dropped out before I was 20), and by then I was very keen to get on with it.

When the time came, I hired a van and a mate volunteered to drive me to Manchester. We got it loaded up with my stuff and I went back into the house to say goodbye to my folks. They seemed very subdued for some reason. I didn't get it - I thought they'd be pleased to not have to put up with my loud music and hordes of young people trailing in and out all the time. (I once squeezed over 20 people into my 8' x 5' box bedroom!)

My dad couldn't look me in the eye, he just held his arm up limply (curious for a strong-willed, muscular man), shook my hand and said "'Bye Col ..." and I saw him gulp. My mum stood up, gave me the briefest of hugs, let out a startling wail and fled to the back of the house. I made to go after her but my dad called me back - "Go, Col, just go now!"

I shrugged my shoulders, went outside and got into the passenger seat of the van. My dad had retrieved my mum who now had her face buried in his shoulder as they stood inside the bay window to see me off. I waved goodbye, my dad gave a weak little wave back, my mum wept uncontrollably.

We drove off up the road in silence. After 30 seconds or so, I turned to my mate and said "WTF was that all about!" He laughed and said "Old people, eh, what are they like!"

I never properly understood their sense of loss, until I experienced it for myself when they died.

Chin up dz - at least we have mobiles, webcams and Skype now to keep in touch! (When I was a student, I used to have to go to a phonebox at the end of the road once a week to call my mum ...)

rollinstok

When my kids grew into adults and left home, my life seemed to lack incentive and drive...they must have packed it away in one of their cardboard boxes.
They often brought a little piece at a time back until I was almost whole again.
They now bring my lovely grandkids to visit "gan-gan" and I am reborn.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
They seemed very subdued for some reason. I didn't get it - I thought they'd be pleased to not have to put up with my loud music and hordes of young people trailing in and out all the time.
if only you knew then, Colin, how pleased they were to see you with your friends. That's been the greatest fun. Finding them in the garden, smoking cheap cigs, drinking beers, talking nonsense. Mine you, I always thought Susie was overdoing it, reminding friend Amy how she'd 'seen her come out of her mum's vagina'. A line that went down exceptionally well at birthday parties.

Chin up dz - at least we have mobiles, webcams and Skype now to keep in touch! (When I was a student, I used to have to go to a phonebox at the end of the road once a week to call my mum ...)
Susie's given her a lift to work - which means I can sit here with tears trickling down my cheeks. Pathetic or what???

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Oh Dell, that is terribly sweet. She know's she's loved and supported that is one of the most precious things you can give as a parent.

Top Bottom