Shimano Alfine and removing rear wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

headcoat

Über Member
I had my first puncture on my Alfine hub bike the other day. Luckily I'd noticed while on the train home and it was only 1 1/2 mile walk home, so I didn't bother fixing it, which was a good job really.

I have previously taken the wheel off at home as a practice about 2 years ago (so not bad for a first puncture); anyway the bike had recently come back from a service and there was no way I could remove the wheel bolts with my 'on the' bike tool kit, even with a small adjustable I carry. So out came the proper tools from the shed and even then it was still a few minutes struggle and a bit of WD40 for good luck.

So just a bit of warning to anyone without quick release!

To end the story, I ended up having to get a new tyre because I couldn't get the hawthorns fully out, and besides it was starting to wear a bit.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I remember the first time i took a rear wheel out which had an alfine hub. Total nightmare, espcially as it had limit screws in the track ends and disc brakes.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yeah...you need a proper workshop spanner for the wheel nuts. Those multi-holed ones you get with some bikes are no good.

Howard, of this forum, made an excellent video. Search You Tube for Alfine/Nexus tube replacement.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I remember the first time i took a rear wheel out which had an alfine hub. Total nightmare, espcially as it had limit screws in the track ends and disc brakes.

True...but they get easier with practice. I now find them no more difficult than a derailleur set up.

Do a few dry runs in the garange/shed so one knows what to expect on the road.

That has reminded me, time to swap out the snow tyres on the Nexus for normal ones. I put them on last October and they have not been needed.

simon.r

Person
Surly make something they call a Jethro Tule:

surlyjethro.jpg

To lift the blurb from Hubjob's website, "The broad, flat, palm-shaped handle lets you exert a lot of leverage without need for a long, heavy grip". In extreme circumstances you can stand on it as well^_^

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Surly make something they call a Jethro Tule:

surlyjethro.jpg

To lift the blurb from Hubjob's website, "The broad, flat, palm-shaped handle lets you exert a lot of leverage without need for a long, heavy grip". In extreme circumstances you can stand on it as well^_^
I've used that, it's rubbish.

simon.r

Person
I've used that, it's rubbish.

I wouldn't use it as a replacement for a workshop spanner, but as a small, relatively light weight, roadside repair bit of kit it works well in my experience.

Pottsy

Ditto above. I have a Surly Jethro tool that I carry as my roadside option on the fixed. It works very well and I'd recommend it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I love how they market it as a tool that 'lets you exert a lot of leverage'. Clearly they have no understanding of leverage.

Pottsy

I love how they market it as a tool that 'lets you exert a lot of leverage'. Clearly they have no understanding of leverage.
I agree that it's not long enough to allow a lot of leverage, but the very good shape enables you to maximise the pressure you can apply to a tool of this size (oooerr). It's not marketed as a workshop tool after all.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I agree that it's not long enough to allow a lot of leverage, but the very good shape enables you to maximise the pressure you can apply to a tool of this size (oooerr). It's not marketed as a workshop tool after all.
It does have a good shape, and more importantly a bottle opener!

Top Bottom