Shimano Brake Power Modulator, I Take It Is Crap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
My Marin Mill Valley hybrid has a thing fitted on the front brake. It is fitted on the front brake cable on the entry to the V brake pipe. It is just like a cylinder and all it appears to do is act like a spring to reduce braking force after a certain amount of pull is exerted on the brake lever. My road bike seems way better without one of these. It just seems to make me have to pull the lever harder. It is not as bad now I fitted new pads but I still cannot see what it's aim is. Maybe to stop people going over the handlebars? Anyway I think it's probably shoot and I am thinking of getting the required parts to remove it, I think I could get away with a new inner cable and one of those thingies, I dunno if it is called a ferrule or whatever that guides the brake cable outer onto the V brake pipe. Has anybody else got a Power Modulator, or know if it is actually of any use whatsoever?

You need nothing more than an allen key to get rid of it. Unleash the cable from its anchor bolt - remove the spring which sits inside the noodle and re-install. Job done.

You're right, they are shoot. When I was responsible for Get Cycling's fleet of 400+ bikes I removed them systematically.

One or two people managed to throw themselves over the handlebars back in 1996 or whenever, probably because they were familiar with wet rod brakes and pulled too hard. The manufacturers have been installing them ever since. It's a nonsense.

I've got one within the hub of my bakfiets which annoys the shoot out of me - but it's impossible to remove or disable as far as I can make out.

Top Bottom