Shimano gear problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JordanT91

Having just received my shiny new Rockrider 5.1 purchased all the way from Decathlon in Stockport (I'm in Newcastle), I have encountered a problem with the gears already. I know that the gears have to be adjusted properly, and that's not a problem. My stepdad has been doing this all his life so I'm fairly confident he knows what he's doing, and it's not like this is my first bike.

Were having a problem with the shifting lever. I think it's a Shimano Revo, possibly Tourney. When moving down from 7, one at a time, it's fine until it hits 1. When moving from 2 to 1, the grip shift mechanism feels like it's popped out and it no longer clicks or changes gear. You have to turn it all the way to 7 then it pops in again.

We have tried everything we can think of regarding the derailleur but he's convinced the problem lies with the shifter. He doesn't want to open it up in case it voids the warranty. Having just spoke to someone in the bike workshop at Decathlon, he reckons the problem will lie with a screw somewhere and that I would have to send it back to them. He didn't seem to listen when I told him where I thought the problem was, I guess they get so many queries about the gears that he must have thought it would automatically be someone who hadn't attempted to adjust the gears.

The specs of the bike are here.

Can anyone help?

OP
OP
J

JordanT91

After further investigation, I have worked out what the problem is. Inside the shifter, the green plastic round thing that 'clicks' into place is skipping over the last tooth, so it doesn't stay in gear. I can only assume this is a fault with the shifter. Seems a silly thing to have to send the whole bike back for.

gbb

Legendary Member
Could still be a screw adjustment Jordan (in theory, i'm sat here trying to imagine what'd cause it)
Suppose the rear derailleur isn't set correctly on the H or L screw, not allowing it to align with the biggest sprocket at the back. In trying to shift onto that sprocket, you may be using far more force than normal because the derailleur is hitting it's backstops.....straining the shifter.

Just a theory.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Could still be a screw adjustment Jordan (in theory, i'm sat here trying to imagine what'd cause it)
Suppose the rear derailleur isn't set correctly on the H or L screw, not allowing it to align with the biggest sprocket at the back. In trying to shift onto that sprocket, you may be using far more force than normal because the derailleur is hitting it's backstops.....straining the shifter.

Just a theory.

sounds like a plan to me . worth having a fiddle with the stops slowly so it does not overshot to much .

OP
OP
J

JordanT91

I just had a go at adjusting the H and L screws but it can't go in enough to make the last shift easy because the derailleur hits the wheel. Anyway, with the screws set so that the derailleur is just short of the wheel the cable is very loose, handing about 2 inches under the frame.
It was worth a go but I still reckon the problem is with the shifter because even when the cable was very loose, it still wouldn't click in to 1st gear.

OP
OP
J

JordanT91

Personally, no. I don't know what that is to be honest. I was hoping the bike would come disassembled so that it would force me to do it properly, but it came with the wheels, and everything else, already assembled. I'll have another look at the 'user manual' tonight to see if there's anything obvious I missed.

gbb

Legendary Member
I just had a go at adjusting the H and L screws but it can't go in enough to make the last shift easy because the derailleur hits the wheel. Anyway, with the screws set so that the derailleur is just short of the wheel the cable is very loose, handing about 2 inches under the frame.
It was worth a go but I still reckon the problem is with the shifter because even when the cable was very loose, it still wouldn't click in to 1st gear.

That's different then, it's difficult to imagine what else could be causing the problem, except a faulty shifter.

OP
OP
J

JordanT91

Ah not what I wanted to hear. Seems stupid to send the bike for that. Any idea how much a local bike shop would charge to fix or replace? Thanks for the help everyone.

Top Bottom