Shoe help / Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

I have some road shoes and road pedals, I've attached the cleats to the shoes, but I cannot seem to clip the shoes into the pedals. I haven't got the pedals attached to my bike yet as I want to make sure the shoes clip in first, any help would be great.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Two things: one, even with the settings right, it takes quite a bit of pressure to clip in, and the pedals have to be really firm, so you should stick 'em on your bike (you can take them on & off in seconds, so it's really not a problem. Tho' if you haven't done it before, be aware that the left hand pedal screws 'the wrong way' - ie, you go counter-clockwise to tighten.) And two, the pedal tension may well need adjusting - look for a wee allen key hole and use an allen key to tighten/loosen till you have it set right for you.

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

Yes I have instructions. It's when I push the front down, the gap isn't big enough to fit the back one in. I've tried adjusting it with a allan key but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

oscarplu

Über Member
Yes, im with sweepea on this one. Get them on your bike. I made this mistake when i first went clipless. I managed to clip a shoe to my pedal whilst not connected to bike and i couldnt get the bloody thing off, ended up taking the pedal to bits!!!!!:angry::blush::biggrin::blush:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Put the pedals on the bike 1st of all.
Put shoes on.
Climb on bike.
Clip in.
DONT clip shoes into pedals not on fixed on bike.. it will be a hard job disengaging them.
You have road shoes there but the cleats and pedals match.
JUst as long as the cleats are well attached to sole of shoe.
A bit awkward walking on those smaller SPD cleats so care there.

Road cleats are bigger and use 3 bolt attachment btw

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

With taking the pedals off, I put a wrench to it and kept trying to turn it anti-clockwise but it wouldn't budge, it even made me think it may have to be turned clockwise, and that wouldn't budge either.

oscarplu

Über Member
Placing a block of wood or a brick under the pedal that you are removing will allow you to get more leverage
If you can’t loosen the pedal, spray some WD-40 by the threads and let it soak in for a few minutes before trying to loosen the pedals again
If you still can’t loosen the pedals, slip a pipe over the wrench handle to get a longer lever arm or tap the end of the wrench with a hammer (I use a rubber mallet)
Pedals are usually marked left and right. If you are unsure if you are installing the correct pedal, slowly try to thread one of the pedals on the bike (remember to turn towards the front of the bike to install a pedal.) If you have the wrong pedal, you will not be able to get it started. Don’t force it, try the other pedal.
Always clean the pedal threads before installing the pedals.

colinr

And as others have said, when you start testing, put the pedals in and attach the cleats firmly. I discovered that unclipping loose cleats involved removing the pedal with shoe attached and putting it in a vice.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The cleats should be attached to the shoe as tight as possible.
The cleats should not move.

Are you talking about 'float'?

aJohnson said:
Cleats should be able to move right/left and up/down a bit shouldn't they?

Top Bottom