Shoes and Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zophiel

Veteran
I am looking at getting some new shoes. I was looking at various sites and the lbs and have come to no conclusion at all. These are to go on my ribble road bike.

The last pair I had were about 10 years ago, some look PP247 and vittoria raiders.

I would like to be able to walk a little in them also, which then pushes me towards the mtb side and spd's.

Any help would be great, there is no real price budget but dont want to spend £100's really.

edit~

was looking recently at something like:

Northwave Mission ATB
Time TXT MTB
Shimano MT32
Adidas Minrett Shoes
Adidas El Moro Shoes

Jon

Medic6666

One thing you may need to consider is MTB shoes are pretty wide. You may have to get extenders for your pedals so the shoes dont catch the pedal arm. Assuming you have the small clipin road pedals.

just a thought.

OP
OP
Z

zophiel

Veteran
at the moment i havent bought either. Was just looking for advice one way or another. Will buy mtb pedals to go with the shoes though, or equivalent race set.

Medic6666

Ahhh ok.

From what I have seen having just bought some road shoes myself they dont really make them for walking in. I got the impression if you are going to walk in them any more than the garden path you'd have to go for MTB shoes.

As to which ones, if you can go to the shops and try some on. I think I tried all the shoes he had in the shop before I found some that felt good, although it may just be I have strange shapped feet :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
There's nothing to beat trying them on, but I'd recommend trying the Adidas Minretts.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Medic6666 said:
One thing you may need to consider is MTB shoes are pretty wide. You may have to get extenders for your pedals so the shoes dont catch the pedal arm. Assuming you have the small clipin road pedals.

just a thought.

I have both Specialized mtb and road shoes for different bikes. They're identical apart from the soles - no difference in width. I set the cleats to pedal slightly heel in, so I position the cleats as far inboard as possible. Even on the fixed with right-angle cranks I have no problem. Most modern cranks are offset to some extent and should be fine with an average shoe/foot position.

darkstar

I just bought the Specialized BG 2010 shoes for just over £60 (about 2 hours ago from LBS). There really comfortable so far (only a small tester ride yet though) I would recomend if your looking for a shoe in the price range.

longers

Legendary Member
Are you able to try them on before you buy?

I'd go for ones that I could pop on and walk around in first, no matter the make. Always had comfy shoes that way as each manufacturer has little differences in their fit that's not apparent until you try them on.

Top Bottom