Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko

Veteran
Which Shoes

Ok, another shoe question, sorry! It's my birthday soon and I am hoping to get some clipless pedals and shoes. The pedals are a no brainer for me, Shimano M520's. But the shoes I am undecided on, so I'm hoping you can help me. It's down to a choice of three, Specialized Taho, Specialized Sonoma or Dhb M1. My bike is a Specialized Sirrus Sport and I will be only riding on the road. I'm fairly new to cycling and my average distance at the moment is approx 25 miles, though I intend to up this. Which shoe, in your opinion will be best suited to my needs? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

oscarplu

Über Member
Hi Wilko, i got the Specialized Taho a few months ago, and they are a real comfortable shoe, as they are my first pair i cant really compare them to anything else but what i would say is that if you have got wide feet then these are the shoes for you. I have very wide feet and these shoes more than accomodate my Flippers!!!!

Harbornite

Wilko, I have the DHB M1s. I'm a size 9 & they fit bang on with thin sock. Quite comfy, although the colours may not be to everyones taste. I like 'em though :biggrin:

OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran
Just thought I would mention it, but decided to go with the Specialized Taho shoe. My LBS stocked them, so I went there, tried them on and purchased. :biggrin: Very happy, can't wait to try them out on the road now.

skwerl

wilko said:
Just thought I would mention it, but decided to go with the Specialized Taho shoe. My LBS stocked them, so I went there, tried them on and purchased. :biggrin: Very happy, can't wait to try them out on the road now.

LBS. What are you doing? Try at your LBS then buy online

blazed

220lb+
How much did you pay? I have seen for around £70 in LBS, or online sub £50.

Makes you think of all those new riders who just bought a bike from an LBS (at an exorbitant price) then asked what shoes they should buy and were reccomended the tahoes at £20 higher than web prices.

Garz

Squat Member
I bought my Nothwave shoes and look pedals from my lbs. Yes they were more expensive than the best online shops (not inc postage) but they were fitted and tested before I bought so I knew they were perfect.

Two weeks later my front mech ballses up at teh beginning of a ride so I detoured luckily 1/2 mile to the lbs whom mended it in about 10 minutes for free. Would they have done this if I'd have shown my face about shoes/pedals, bought it online then took my bike in there... not without charging!

Certain things are fine online, but dont deny the lbs all the time as like JP highlighted, they may be out of business before too long.

blazed

220lb+
Garz said:
I bought my Nothwave shoes and look pedals from my lbs. Yes they were more expensive than the best online shops (not inc postage) but they were fitted and tested before I bought so I knew they were perfect.

Two weeks later my front mech ballses up at teh beginning of a ride so I detoured luckily 1/2 mile to the lbs whom mended it in about 10 minutes for free. Would they have done this if I'd have shown my face about shoes/pedals, bought it online then took my bike in there... not without charging!

Certain things are fine online, but dont deny the lbs all the time as like JP highlighted, they may be out of business before too long.

Lets hope.

And by the sounds of it your LBS sold you a fault pair of shoes, the owner had probably been using them on weekends and stuck them back in the box.

Garz

Squat Member
"blazed" said:
And by the sounds of it your LBS sold you a fault pair of shoes, the owner had probably been using them on weekends and stuck them back in the box.

You don't make sense and cant spell.. great!

OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran
skwerl said:
LBS. What are you doing? Try at your LBS then buy online

To be brutally honest that's exactly what I intended to do, but the guy in the shop was so helpful, let me try on several pairs while we discussed setting my new bike up for me and he'd previously helped me set up my computer at no charge that I decided to buy them from him. They cost me £58 which isn't much more than I've seen them on t'internet. I actually said to him that I could now say no thanks and buy them on line and he agreed, but said he hoped to still be there this time next year and my purchase would go towards that. I also said, however, that I had bought my pedals on line for just over half the price he was selling them for! He can't compete with that, but the service these guys offer is worth a little bit of compromise now and then i think.

blazed

220lb+
wilko said:
To be brutally honest that's exactly what I intended to do, but the guy in the shop was so helpful, let me try on several pairs while we discussed setting my new bike up for me and he'd previously helped me set up my computer at no charge that I decided to buy them from him. They cost me £58 which isn't much more than I've seen them on t'internet. I actually said to him that I could now say no thanks and buy them on line and he agreed, but said he hoped to still be there this time next year and my purchase would go towards that. I also said, however, that I had bought my pedals on line for just over half the price he was selling them for! He can't compete with that, but the service these guys offer is worth a little bit of compromise now and then i think.

Good man but dont get trapped next time like a sucka.

skwerl

Garz said:
All thanks to skwerl not supporting the locals!

no. quite the opposite. Just have a look at anything posted by blazed that's LBS-related. You'll have to pick your way through the trollesque piss-poor spelling and youf speak but you'll get the gist.

Top Bottom