Shorts for recumbent riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chonker

Veteran
I'm pretty new to this and have not owned a pair of lycra shorts. I'm resisting the idea a bit still (I think they look a little silly) but travelling feet first makes my regular shorts baloon out as they fill with air, it's uncomfortable and can't be doing much good for my drag coefficient, I also found on a longer run the costant rubbing on my knees of the hem of the legs became quite irritating.

So I've a few questions

So what type of shorts are good and where do you buy them from (not sure about size so thinking of shops rather than online)? I've been into halfords and they had only one type with a whole load of padded foam stuff in the gusset which seems unnecissary for recumbent riding.

Do you wear underwear benieth 'em?

Is there a cross-over available which works like lycra but has the appearance of normal shorts (am thinking perhaps has lycra bands around the leg holes or something)

OP
OP
Chonker

Chonker

Veteran
It's a Trice Q 20" wheels, it's too much fun! :ohmy:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
That foam can be kinda handy, as it stops you getting a rainwater enema on damp descents.

On the Furai, I almost always wear lycra as its a bit of a fairweather bike, and has a fabric seeking chainline.

If you don't get on with a nappy, an alternative can be runners shorts. Got to be careful though. Depending on your seat setup, you might find the zip on the discreet rear pocket they like to add nowadays digs right into your spine.

byegad

Legendary Member
You need shorts that do not flap too much or like me some underpants that hug the legs. Two reasons, one is public decency, the other is a need to avoid a wasp up your leg!

What you DO NOT need is traditional padding, the whole point of a recumbent is that it is comfortable. Running gear is often ideal for 'bent use.

TimP

I tend to wear baggy cotton ¾s on the 'bent, special offer in Next, with normal underwear. When it starts getting colder and wetter I move to unpadded bibtights.

It's nice being able to park the bike and walk away from it with a sense of normality to your clothing.

dataretriever

I wear lycra cycling shorts under a pair of baggy shorts with pockets for the essentials. My current faves are a pair of Endura Zymes. they have pockets that face the right way for a recumbent, whether by design or accident. In the cold or wet I have a pair of long shower resistant Endura trousers again worn with lycra underneath.

I tried a normal pair of Lycra shorts without the insert but they didn't offer anywhere near the support for the boy bits and led to an uncomfortable bandy leg style of pedalling whilst finding somewhere discreet to stop and have a rearrange downstairs; never happens with the padded ones......

I've got a 20" Q too!

banjokat

dataretriever said:
I tried a normal pair of Lycra shorts without the insert but they didn't offer anywhere near the support for the boy bits and led to an uncomfortable bandy leg style of pedalling whilst finding somewhere discreet to stop and have a rearrange downstairs; never happens with the padded ones.

Seconded

squeaker

Über Member
Endura 3/4 Humvees (with a modified leg bottom hem - elastic cord + sliding toggles - as I couldn't get on with the standard closure, never used the standard liner). Zipped pockets work very well - can carry mobile + money etc..
Gill Lite boxers underneath for longer rides, otherwise just ordinary cotton knicks for local (non-sweaty) rides.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I wear either lycra cycling or lycra running shorts. I don't mind the nappy because I do find, as Arallsopp mentioned, that the wind whistling around your nether regions can be a bit chilly so a bit more padding helps. Also the nappy makes you look like a proper cyclist when off the bike at a cafe or something, so people hopefully realise you're dressing like that for sporty functionality, not because you think you look great in body-hugging clothing.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
arallsopp said:
That foam can be kinda handy, as it stops you getting a rainwater enema on damp descents.
(abandons all thoughts of purchasing a 'bent.) I did ask Mr. Gates if he would be wearing a kilt on Friday night, but, apparently not. Insects....

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
dellzeqq said:
(abandons all thoughts of purchasing a 'bent.)

Now obviously, I'm a recumbevangelist, but come on.... Think of the advantages:

• Spread your body weight over a much larger area, on a comfortable seat means less back, neck, shoulder, and butt ache.
  • No wrist pain from bearing your weight.
  • Smaller frontal area means better aerodynamics.
  • The heads up position lets you enjoy the scenery instead of the grit on the road.
  • No matter how hard you strive for it, the Superman dismount is impossible.
  • It looks damn cool.
  • In addition to physically eliminating accumulated material in the bowel, it can speed the cleansing of toxins that have been stored in the liver, gallbladder and fat tissue, thus having an amazing effect on energy, health and well being.

TimP

Nah, the simple response is that it is no worse than the rainwater enema you get from not using mudguards on an upright in the rain. Actually it is better as the water is not thrown up from the road and mixed with assorted grot.

45cotterless

10_12_3.gif If you need to try out a pair of shorts , then buy a pair from Decathlon, these are about £6.50.
I've found 3 problems helped by cycling shorts with inserts; sweat , winter warmth and the holding tight of loose body bits that on a long ride will announce their discomfort.

Top Bottom