Should cycle helmet threads be legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
helmets are only a recent addition to a cyclist's panoply of gears to wear.
The bicycle has been invented well over a 100 years ago. The Tour de France has been running since 1903 and is now in its 98th edition. Very few riders have actually died from head injuries over that period, and they ride a lot faster than any of us here.
There are two arguments to wesring helmets:
1) the financial side to manufacturers. The more they try to brain wash you that helmets may save your life, the more people they will be convinced and hey presto: increased sales
2) the safety aspect.
This should be left to individuals to make their own mind up. I have been riding bikes since the age of 5( on and off) and am now 60, still alive and well, and never wore an helmet. I have had many falls and never broken anything.
I am not trying to dissuade anyone from wearing an helmet , just putting my view across.
Now it is helmet fashion, next is it going to be : goggles/ knee pads, shoulder pads, reinforced gloves, elbow pads?
Where do you draw the line?:wacko:

Davidc

Guru
I think we should have a forum rule where whatever opinion the OP has about helmets only those who agree with him/her should be allowed to post on that thread.

Then we can all live in harmony and concentrate on important issues like world peace and ending poverty and saving the planet and all that stuff.

If only the planet had worn its orbiting helmet it wouldn't need saving.

Bicycle

I think we're missing the spiritual side to this debate.

If God had meant us to wear helmets, then I'm pretty certain that he (or indeed she) - or a qurum of executive members of the Assembly of Deities or not according to faith and or similar - would have....

Ummmm....

Look, this is going somewhere, it really is.

If God had invented bicycles....

No.

In a just world, given that bicycles already existed....

Anyway, Rome wasn't built in a day and that's about all I have to say about that.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I think we should have a forum rule where whatever opinion the OP has about helmets only those who agree with him/her should be allowed to post on that thread.

Then we can all live in harmony and concentrate on important issues like world peace and ending poverty and saving the planet and all that stuff.

Campag or Shimano ....

Bicycle

Campag or Shimano ....

That's an absurd question.

I use only Campag components and am alive and well.

Campag has saved my life on more than one occasion.

I am frankly a little sick and tired of cynical posts on these threads that seem intended only to cause arguments between bright people (like me) and palpable idiots (who use Shimano).

This gets me really worked up.

How on Earth can it be sensible to have a brake lever that across another plane works as a gear lever?

It would be as witless as having a hovercraft that doubled as a soup spoon.

Why has no-one invented a hovercraft that doubles as a soup spoon? Because it's an absurd notion.

Ergo, Campag is sensible and Shimano is not.

Shimano??? Are you, like SERIOUS?

More like shoot-mano.... Ha ha ha ha ha ha, I made a funny!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's an absurd question.

I use only Campag components and am alive and well.

Campag has saved my life on more than one occasion.

I am frankly a little sick and tired of cynical posts on these threads that seem intended only to cause arguments between bright people (like me) and palpable idiots (who use Shimano).

This gets me really worked up.

How on Earth can it be sensible to have a brake lever that across another plane works as a gear lever?

It would be as witless as having a hovercraft that doubled as a soup spoon.

Why has no-one invented a hovercraft that doubles as a soup spoon? Because it's an absurd notion.

Ergo, Campag is sensible and Shimano is not.

Shimano??? Are you, like SERIOUS?

More like shoot-mano.... Ha ha ha ha ha ha, I made a funny!
Spot on mate.

I knew a bloke who beat himself over the head with a Dura-Ace chainset...AND HE DIED!!!!

Yet when I repeatedly hit myself on the skull with a Chorus brake block I SUFFERED NO ILL EFFECTS WHATSOEVER!!!!

If that isn't conclusive proof of something or other, I don't know what is.

Spot on mate.

I knew a bloke who beat himself over the head with a Dura-Ace chainset...AND HE DIED!!!!

Yet when I repeatedly hit myself on the skull with a Chorus brake block I SUFFERED NO ILL EFFECTS WHATSOEVER!!!!

If that isn't conclusive proof of something or other, I don't know what is.
Do not try and SRAM your decision down our throats

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Do not try and SRAM your decision down our throats
Now look what you've done.

Someone will be along to tell us we should wear throat guards in the minute
angry.gif

Bicycle

No! NO! NO! NO!!

That's ridiculous!!

Throat Guards!! NO!!

Do you even ride a bicycle?

How can that opinion be based on anything other than opinion dressed up as research? How?

Are you mad? I think you are!

The research you oh-so-clearly think you are basing your wildly random opinions on is just an abuse of unconnected statistics collected and collated by a body paid for entirely by the cynical and greedy Throat Guard Industry.

In this absurd and laughable pretence of a logical viewpoint, you show what a naive, ill-read and narrow-minded so-called cyclist you are.

What is more, you are clearly inflexible, very rude and extremely intolerant of the views of others.

There is no room on this forum for rude, intolerant, inflexible so-called cyclists.

Sorry, but I had to get that off my (unprotected) chest.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No! NO! NO! NO!!

That's ridiculous!!

Throat Guards!! NO!!

How can that opinion be based on anything other than opinion dressed up as research? How?

The research you oh-so-clearly think you are basing your wildly random opinions on is just an abuse of unconnected statistics collected and collated by a body paid for entirely by the cynical and greedy Throat Guard Industry.

In this absurd and laughable pretence of a logical viewpoint, you show what a naive, ill-read and narrow-minded so-called cyclist you are.

What is more, you are clearly inflexible, very rude and extremely intolerant of the views of others.

There is no room on this forum for rude, intolerant, inflexible so-called cyclists.

You mad fool!!!

No! NO! NO! NO!!

That's ridiculous!!

Throat Guards!! NO!!

You mad fool!!!

OI!!!

I have worn a throat guard at work!

The thyroid is susceptible to radiation, so we wore these when screening:

Halsschutz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom