Should I exhaust this nincompoop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I have a friend (well, aquaintance!), who is also a nincompoop.

I have branded him thus, because he goes to those "spinning" classes in the gym. Strangely, he drives to the gym to do the aforementioned classes and then drives home again.

He tells me that spinning is better than real cycling for fitness and that he could keep up with a real cyclist all day long.

He's the same height as me and I know I can get hold a bike that would fit him; would it be unkind of me to take him out on a non-stop 40 or 50-miler? (i.e. several hours in the saddle, rather than just 30 mins on an exercise bike, which he reckons gets you just as fit as riding up and down bloody big hills for hours)

The trouble is, I don't want to damage him! It takes a fair bit of training to get to the level of being able to ride a fast 50 miler! I have a feeling he may actually collapse en-route (literally).

danger mouse

Why not challenge him?

You do the spinning first to see how it feels and then he can reciprocate the gesture.

That way you wont feel so bad when he dies a little.

I've never been to a spinning session but everyone who has tells me how hard it is. So maybe?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
He has offered up a hostage to fortune, but have a care! Spinning can make you very, very fit. There are a couple of people on these very boards whose cycling has improved dramatically! Mr. Davywalnutwhip's massive thighs have been honed by spinning in to ferocious instruments of speed - he can leave me for dead on hills despite having an arse the size of Texas. Mice has gone from an enthusiastic beginner to a member of the big boys league, despite being a small girl!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Different disciplines and he appears to have misunderstood that. Like comparing sprinters and climbers in le Tour.

DM is right. You have to step into his shoes too. ;)

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Very much different disciplines. I really fancy giving spinning a try, but expect I could well embarrass myself by not being as good as would hope.

I must say that it does get on my tits when people compare sports, giving the 'mine is better than yours' or 'I could spank you at yours' bs (that's your friend, not you!), each to their own after all.
I have a work colleague that 'just doesn't get' why I say that formula 1 doesn't float my boat anymore and his response is that 'why would you know, all you do is pedal round all day... how hard can that be?... and there is no skill'. Like you, I long for the opportunity in joining him for a ride, making him feel he is as good, then take him like a king half way up a hill :smile:

on the road

Über Member

I have branded him thus, because he goes to those "spinning" classes in the gym. Strangely, he drives to the gym to do the aforementioned classes and then drives home again.

He tells me that spinning is better than real cycling for fitness and that he could keep up with a real cyclist all day long.

He's the same height as me and I know I can get hold a bike that would fit him; would it be unkind of me to take him out on a non-stop 40 or 50-miler? (i.e. several hours in the saddle, rather than just 30 mins on an exercise bike, which he reckons gets you just as fit as riding up and down bloody big hills for hours)

The trouble is, I don't want to damage him! It takes a fair bit of training to get to the level of being able to ride a fast 50 miler! I have a feeling he may actually collapse en-route (literally).
I'd make it 80 miles :evil:

A cyclist in good condition will manage a spinning class.

A spinner in good condition will struggle to keep up with said cyclist on a 50-mile ride.

Give him HELL! :evil:

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Why not challenge him?

You do the spinning first to see how it feels and then he can reciprocate the gesture.

That way you wont feel so bad when he dies a little.

I've never been to a spinning session but everyone who has tells me how hard it is. So maybe?

I have been to the spinning class in question when we had that rather depressing bout of non-stop rain and cold, it wasn't all that hard! Certainly not like hillclimbing!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I did a 100 miler last month and it was easier then a 45 min spinning class, that said i didn't have a crazed women instructor pushing us to the edge of exhaustion whilst peddling nicely along the lanes of Cheshire.

Spinning is a hard thing if you push yourself to the limit and i do it once a week, But give me the open road any day .

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident

He doesn't sound like he has any interest in Cycling so why the need to want to beat you in a long day out in the saddle , when i go on the rowing machine i don't have in the back of my mind "the Sir Steve Redgrave , hes crap he is , i could beat him coz this rowing machine is better than a real boat " so whats this friend jibbering about

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

He doesn't sound like he has any interest in Cycling so why the need to want to beat you in a long day out in the saddle , when i go on the rowing machine i don't have in the back of my mind "the Sir Steve Redgrave , hes crap he is , i could beat him coz this rowing machine is better than a real boat " so whats this friend jibbering about

Lol! Quite, my rowing is more like Wind in the Willows ...

Top Bottom