Should I have a word with my mate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
I'm not sure if it's worth it or if it's my place or what, I don't wanna come across as a moaning old git BUT

A mate of mine started riding about on a MTB , a bit after I took up cycling. I dunno if I'd call him a "cyclist" as such, I mean he does commute and I've seen him ride to town and stuff but he just doesn't seem as "into it" as, most of us for example, are. Anyway that's not the point. The point is this.

He works on the same estate as I do, a few building along, and lives about half way between my house and our work place, so I see him riding in. There's a few things I think he's not doing. The first one is a matter of choice - not waring a helmet. Not compulsary I know but I meantioned how I fully believe waring a lid saved me from more serious injury when I got knocked off, and he totally ignored it. Matter of choice but still... Not even interested when I was telling him about it.
The other couple of things actually piss me right off
He's ALWAYS riding on the pavement. He can't even say the roads are always to busy, I've sailed passed him several times the roads are near 100% free, he rides around the town center (actually a pedestrian area) too.
The other one
HE'S A NINJA! For example, I finished at 8pm today and saw him out the front of his place of work just setting off. No lights at all. His bike is black and dark red and he's in dark clothes, not a single bulb, LED or anything to be seen.

Should I call him out on this crap or just leave him to it?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If he doesn't want to WEAR a helmet then that is totally his call but you could suggest he starts to ride on the road more of the time (does he drive a car?/Have any road experience?) and he should certainly get some lights, it's a no-brainer as they are relatively cheap/good nowadays and have a great battery life so are not expensive to run.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Forget about the helmet, you've already tried on that front.

Mention the need for lights/high vis clothing once. If he ignores it, that's up to him. If you don't say anything and he gets run over you'll regret not having tried. So try, but just the once...

wakou

Über Member
Is there a Poundland in your town? A set of lights and a pack of batteries < £3.00; buy him some and tell him he owes you a pint.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
oh I understand and accept the helmet>personal choice thing I was trying to convey that in the op. If people don't wanna ware them I have no issue with it, I was trying to show the lack of consideration the guy has for his own health+safety though. It's one thing not waring a lid but then he goes flying along the pavements, not illuminating - and I do often question his control over the bike, seen him a few times riding for extended periods of time with one hand off the bars fiddling with phones/ciggies etc, all this stuff makes me think he's gonna be getting himself/someone else injured.

Maybe I will pick him up some lights. Might even have mine spare soon as I'm upgrading

Give him a copy of the Guide to Commuting that is is a,sticky at the top of the commuting section. Can't hurt.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Get him lights for Christmas

+1 easy, get him an early Christmas present, today maybe.

Should I call him out on this crap or just leave him to it?

Are you sure he's your mate? If you honestly think he's putting himself in danger not having lights then of course you should tell him.
Riding on the pavement, well, as has been suggested tell him once then leave him to it maybe, if it was my mate however I'd tell them every time I saw them doing it. Could you not commute with him? Educational and sociable!
Helmet? :whistle:

A mate of mine started riding about on a MTB , a bit after I took up cycling. I dunno if I'd call him a "cyclist" as such, I mean he does commute and I've seen him ride to town and stuff but he just doesn't seem as "into it" as, most of us for example, are. Anyway that's not the point. The point is this.

Bit cheeky, what does one have to do to be considered a "cyclist"?

jim55

Guru
Leave him to it I'd say , survival of the fittest and all that , it's his call , when he gets done for riding pavements or knocks a ped down then he might change

Bicycle

I used to get the helmet stuff from colleagues at the end of a very long commute.

It made me less inclined to wear one, not more.

I'd say nothing.

The tone we think we're taking and the tone the listener hears can be miles and miles apart.

As to not being a proper cyclist....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Helmet? Don't bother about that, but lights and pavement cycling are worth starting on.

Seen Silly Cyclists on YouTube? Send him a link to a particular episode without mentioning his riding at all, just that it's funny and you think he'll enjoy watching it.

My mother (a lawyer) once gave me excellent (non-legal) advice. My brother, who is older than me and had a driving licence for longer but hadn't done much driving, was planning a long drive that I felt he was not experienced enough to do safely. My mother said "Tell him. He won't listen, but if you don't and he has an accident, how will you feel?" I told him, he didn't listen, he had a (small) accident, and I felt ok. Didn't even say"I told you so"

Tell your friend. He won't listen, but if something happens, it won't be on your conscience.

akb

Veteran
If he is a good mate. Tell him.
Point out the dangers of riding without lights/high vis stuff, pointing out the legal issues with riding on the pavement. If he doesnt listen, then so what, get on with life.
He's an adult (I assume) and should be old enough to make his own life decisions.
As far as helmets go, that is his personal choice.

Top Bottom