should i report it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

Hi, just driven home at about midnight through the city centre, going from a dual carriage way, down the slip road onto the roundabout i looked to my right carefully to make sure it was clear before accelerating onto the roundabout,

just as i move onto the roundabout I realise (seeing through my side window) there is a cyclist without lights that i've just gone in front of and could have hit

slightly worried he'll report it and repercussions of that, especially since its a company car so thinking reporting it so that its on file with the police that there was no accident (checked in my mirror that he was still on the bike) and thus i didn't leave a scene of an accident or anything like that

i know this is kind of the opposite way round to normal :smile:
had he had lights i'd have seen him :wacko:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There was no accident. End of. Chill.

col

Legendary Member
Just goes to show doesnt it?Not all near misses are on purpose if a cyclist driving a car gets it wrong?

Jake

I cycle home around 19.30 and its dark, and so many out there without lights or reflective gear, you just can't see them. Especially along the towpath. As for the joggers!!!! they don't seem to think they need to. it's impossible to see them at times. They litrally wear camouflage!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Keep pushing that agenda Col :biggrin:

Trillian, as I remember it, you have a legal obligation to report an accident - I don't think there's any requirement to report near misses.

philr

as previously stated no collision = police not bothered.

just a reminder to be that little bit more careful and try and anticipate idiot road users like that one with no lights on, as the evenings are closing in a lot of people will get caught out as not needing lights a week ago at a given time for a cycle home

Cab

If reporting near misses were compulsory, thats all Plod would do.

Cab

col said:
Just goes to show doesnt it?Not all near misses are on purpose if a cyclist driving a car gets it wrong?

Yes... A guy without lights on spooking a driver really vindicates all those motorists we regularly see reported here overtaking too close, pulling out, left hooking, etc.

Or, maybe, this has got nothing at all to do with that.

Cab said:
Yes... A guy without lights on spooking a driver really vindicates all those motorists we regularly see reported here overtaking too close, pulling out, left hooking, etc.

To be fair, Col didn't actually say, or even imply, that. What he actually said is absolutely true. I've had my share of near misses with idiots without lights (including one truly frightening occasion on the A5 between Telford and Cannock - an unlit single carriageway road - where I narrowly avoided flattening an unlit cyclist with an artic. I have no sympathy for anyone who chooses to ride without lights, thereby putting themselves and others in danger. If I was to report anything of the incident in the OP (and if I thought the police would be remotely interested), it would be the cyclist. Either that or I'd have stopped for a quiet word.

domtyler

Über Member
Jake said:
I cycle home around 19.30 and its dark, and so many out there without lights or reflective gear, you just can't see them. Especially along the towpath. As for the joggers!!!! they don't seem to think they need to. it's impossible to see them at times. They litrally wear camouflage!

If you really "just can't see them" and they are "impossible to see" and "litrally [sic] wear camouflage" then how exactly do you know that they are there? :biggrin:

domtyler said:
If you really "just can't see them" and they are "impossible to see" and "litrally [sic] wear camouflage" then how exactly do you know that they are there? :biggrin:

:biggrin: The unspoken bit of the sentence is "... until it's too late". If the first indication they're there has you hauling on the steering wheel hissing imprecations (assuming you're a careful and observant driver, which I know is a big assumption), they're probably not well enough lit.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:

Or, maybe, this has got nothing at all to do with that.

As usual a answer that misses thepoint.;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What is that point Col?

I don't think you'll find even the most rabid of us claiming that cyclists never do anything wrong. However, I'd stand by the statement that we are far more sinned against than sinning. I'm not a fan of road users without lights (having nearly run into bike ninjas last year) however, going by my experiences last winter, being lit up like a f*cking christmas tree is no guarantee of consideration from our four wheeled brethren, who are endangering people other than themselves, when it comes down to it.

Top Bottom