Should I report this guy? (vid)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonredhornet

Hi,

Had this 'little' incident this morning on my commute to work. This scared the crap out of me at the time to be honest.

Do you think I should take this any further? There were no markings or company info on the cab.

Did I do something wrong here? I know it's easy to suggest better ways to approach the situation after the fact, but 'useful' criticism is always welcome. In hind sight I should have clocked how quick this guy was going and just yielded for my own safety, or took a more positive primary position in the road (which may have resulted in my death).

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VVC425HAU4

The horn is my AirZound3.

Cheers,

Jon

Jake

as i just said on youtube... WOW bloody hell

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Don't worry about hindsight, it seldom helps.

All I can suggest is that with the parked car coming up you needed to signal, move out and take the lane to get past and to let those behind you know what your intentions.
On viewing the vid, the truck doesn't appear to have slowed much to get past you.

In these circumstances you need to be confident to hold the lane in spite of drivers like this or as you say pull in and let the idiot pass.

It might just be worth giving the vid to the Police to see what they say.
There will be any number of forummers along to tell you what they think.:biggrin:

Stay safe.

Speaking as a HGV driver that was totally s**t driving the driver could have killed you, report it immediately to the police. It really hacks me off to see this sort of driving from a HGV driver when I always try my best. Looking at the vid I would say he didn’t wish to have to slow down with all the gear changes involved (may have been rushing to catch a ship) so thought I’ll take the risk.

Garz

Squat Member
You may be right about the signal before the car thing tdr1nka, but I wouldnt want to 'move out' in this instance as he would have been an extra layer of tarmac!

If you notice on the other side is a moped or something also taking up similar lane space so I would guess that a 'proper' lorry driver would have just held back until either moped guy was past or the cyclist wasnt getting a free fright ride.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I've been out with my 7 y/o on the tandem today and I am staggered by how many motorists think they can overtake, by force, when there isn't any room to do so.

Miss tdr1nka wears a horse riding Hi-Vi which has 'PLEASE PASS WIDE AND SLOW' on the back, a surprising amount of drivers ignore this even to the point of trying to overtake us on mini roundabouts.:biggrin:

'Professional' drivers, BT & Virgin Media Vans, scaffold lorries etc, are often the worst offenders as they seem to believe everyone should get out of their way.:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blimey - that was close. You were far enough out - crazy driving from him though - can't have been much room for the car on the opposite carriageway.

purplepolly

jonredhornet said:
Did I do something wrong here?

Yes, instead of pulling out in good time in order to go past the parked car, you should have stayed on the left and hopped over the car or used a teleportation device to get to the other side. This is necessary because a lot of drivers can't get to terms with the concept of cyclists having to go round obstacles and as a result you were too far out for them to cope with.

ketka82uk

A bus did exactly the same to me the other day in identical circumstances. I reported it but then with buses it's a bit easier.

Origamist

Legendary Member
That's one shitty manoeuvre. In those situations 9 times out of 10 the driver will wait behind you, particularly when confronted with oncoming traffic....Not that twat though.

When I see a see a HGV behind me and I'm about to overtake a parked car, I often slam on the brakes and let it go through as some drivers prefer to endanger others, instead of using the brake pedal.

Top Bottom