should i take lessons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sotonnewb

as a total newbie (been on a bike a total of 1hour so far!), do you reckon lessons are a good idea? I know that the main thing is to get out & practice/build up my confidence. i will be using my bike (when i get it! see my post about hybrid vs mtb :wacko: ) for mainly commuting with a bit of off-road.

intially off-road wil be relatively unchallenging, so other than making a twat of myself i'm not too worried. but the commute (tho only 8 mile round trip) i am nervous about (the traffic, not the distance!).

in addition to just taking the plunge, anyone reckon actual lessons wuold be a good idea? i have read about primay & secondary positioning etc, & my hubbie can give me some tips for sure...

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Do you drive? If so you should already have the required road knowledge (i.e. what signs and lines etc mean) and I'm not sure what you would gain from lessons. If your road sense / knowledge is lacking then they might be a good idea.

Also though that this http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-road-positioning-197 might be of interest

Very interested to see the general consensus on this.

sotonnewb said:
as a total newbie (been on a bike a total of 1hour so far!), do you reckon lessons are a good idea? I know that the main thing is to get out & practice/build up my confidence. i will be using my bike (when i get it! see my post about hybrid vs mtb ;) ) for mainly commuting with a bit of off-road.

intially off-road wil be relatively unchallenging, so other than making a twat of myself i'm not too worried. but the commute (tho only 8 mile round trip) i am nervous about (the traffic, not the distance!).

in addition to just taking the plunge, anyone reckon actual lessons wuold be a good idea? i have read about primay & secondary positioning etc, & my hubbie can give me some tips for sure...

domtyler

Über Member
There is lots of training available and is highly recommended for people returning to cycling or just starting for the first time. Cycling is nothing like driving in the skills you require although the rules of the road are the same.

There is a book called CycleCraft by John Franklin that is a mandatory read for those wanting to cycle with confidence on the roads among motorised traffic.

I reckon it takes about two thousand miles of cycling on the roads to become completely proficient, the first thousand to build up your confidence and the second thousand to bring it back down to an appropriate level.

Bigtallfatbloke

if you drive you already have the road knowledge, but it is different on a bike in terms of trying to stay alive...suddenly th ecosy car becomes th eevil murderous enemy...but...I reckon a few rides around th eblock/park to start with and all will be well. If in doubt ride with a more experienced rider to start with.

OP
OP
S

sotonnewb

;) hi angelfishsolo yep, i been driving a few years, no accidents, couple of small scrapes as i fully admit to not having the best spatial awareness (this is not an aspersion cast on other women! just me!) .. i can be a cautious kind of person (relatively - my job lands me in the middle of noweher in borneo every now & then so i think cautious is just in comparison to some extremly gungo-ho types i work with)

yep i think there may be some diverse views. the vast majority of ppl learn as a kid & probs just wouldnt occur 2 them 2 take adult lessons...

i would imagine i wil pick up the skills. tbh its prob more for me a confidence thing in traffic, which an instructor might help,but i guess practice & putting my brain in gear for are the most important.

OP
OP
S

sotonnewb

thanks dom, had heard of the book, will have a look. oh dear i better do some miles @ w/e to get 2k under my belt! thanks for the encouragement bigfattallbloke

col

Legendary Member
Is there someone you can go out with on your bikes,someone who is experienced could help you a lot.

OP
OP
S

sotonnewb

hi col, hubbie is experienced, tho not used his bike much for a couple of yrs. council do lessons summerdays - tho not free. i dont mind paying, just wondering if anyone else has done it/knows someone who has had lessons/or just reckons theyre a bloody good idea ;)

col

Legendary Member
sotonnewb said:
hi col, hubbie is experienced, tho not used his bike much for a couple of yrs. council do lessons summerdays - tho not free. i dont mind paying, just wondering if anyone else has done it/knows someone who has had lessons/or just reckons theyre a bloody good idea ;)

They are a good idea if you have no one with experience who can show you,but if your husband could take you out to quiet roads,and show you the basics,then build it up from there,you both get the benefit:biggrin:What about a quiet car park to practise looking over your shoulder,and where to be when you turn and when to indicate,just practice getting used to your bike and how it feels,it can be a little daunting if your still a bit unsteady while looking behind you.

Hi Sotonnewb. I take it from your handle that you don't live to far from me so I sugest putting the bike in or on the car and taking it into the forest and riding the gravel tracks (take it you have a mountain bike or a hybrid) to get some confidence and have a good ride with no traffic other than the odd walker and cyclist to worry about.;)

I think you need simply to learn to ride a bike rather than get hung up on roadcraft at this point.

I would go with the deserted car park option. Just get used to the bike. After a few sessions you will cycle without thinking about it. At that point you can start to think about all the other idiots on the road!

Your muscles need to learn the movements and you need to be confident enough to stay on, and to keep your balance etc.

Do figure of 8s, stopping and trying to ride alongside a line, that sort of thing. Progress to hills and gears.

If you are not confident then put the saddle down a bit so you can touch the floor, put it up to where it should be when you are confident.

OP
OP
S

sotonnewb

hi head garderner haha yep fairly close to new forest, tho unfortunately still quite urban. some basic cinder paths will deft encourage me :smile:

thanks for ur suggestions overthehill, that will start to help with roadskills. tescos on a sunday evening it is then! hours of amusement for any staff :ohmy:

Poolcue

I am in a similar situation just now. I have bought my first road bike, i have all the accessories i require, i have my Hi-Viz jacket. I keep making excuses not to go out on my bike because i am scared of the traffic, i am going to have a read at that article and see if it will help me.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me ?

Top Bottom