Shouting at car driver.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Passing a parked car on the way home tonight Im just about level with the back door when it starts moving forward and out. Instinctively bellowed a 200 decibel Oi !! Car braked hard so I pedalled past deliberately not looking at the driver,Im not out for agro just not wanting to be knocked off the bike. What turned out to be a woman driver passed me a few minutes later and fair enough she was using her right indicator this time and pulled right across to the opposite carriageway as if passing a car.

Hopefully she will have learned something about using indicators and eyeballs so a small success I think.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sometimes a nice big shout out is all that you need

A clear "Watch out" gets attention, and if you are polite then can gain you witnesses

I had a woman try a "left hook" at the entrance to the Hospital and did exactly that. She stopped and started a tirade...

Two spectators attracted by the shout both intervened on my behalf - one in particular offered in front of her to act as witness if I wanted to report her to the Police.

She became somewhat more subdued when I accepted and started taking his details.

thomas

the tank engine
Cunobelin said:
A clear "Watch out" gets attention, and if you are polite then can gain you witnesses

You also kind of loose any higher ground if you're not. I use the air zound as that generally helps keep me cool under the collar as I do not need to shout.

The thing that winds me up most, is when people hear you yell stop or hear you honk...but they just carry on anyway - as if they can't find their brake pedal.

I use the bike horn thingy which is quite effective as it sounds like a car horn.Saw a ped jump the other day.That was a first.It does save shouting which can be seen as an agressive act.

thomas

the tank engine
Maz said:
Agree. None of this airzound bully-boy tactics.

Not quite sure how it's bully boy tactics...it's a lot louder than I can yell, it keeps me calmer than yelling and I haven't lost my voice after a commute....annndd, when you're not sure if someone will cut you up/do something stupid, you can't start yelling before they've done anything...however a little tap on the airzound will hopefully persuade them NOT to jump out at the junction, etc.

When commuting, I prefer to shout a polite warning when necessary. I find drivers/peds respond well to the human voice.

On trails I use a ping bell to warn peds of my approach. It's quite sufficient. I generally follow it by a 'thanks'.

thomas

the tank engine
beanzontoast said:
When commuting, I prefer to shout a polite warning when necessary. I find drivers/peds respond well to the human voice.

On trails I use a ping bell to warn peds of my approach. It's quite sufficient. I generally follow it by a 'thanks'.

I wasn't suggesting you should use the airozound to warn peds, but if they jump in the road in front of you an airzound/a good yell is a lot more useful for you and them!

thomas said:
I wasn't suggesting you should use the airozound to warn peds, but if they jump in the road in front of you an airzound/a good yell is a lot more useful for you and them!

I just want to warn them though, not scare the living daylights out of them! :tongue:

thomas

the tank engine
beanzontoast said:
I just want to warn them though, not scare the living daylights out of them! :tongue:

I'm all for "excuse me...!" when appropriate, such as on shared paths, along the canal, etc. Air zound on peds is much more of an emergency thing, when the other option is going into them.

thomas said:
I'm all for "excuse me...!" when appropriate, such as on shared paths, along the canal, etc. Air zound on peds is much more of an emergency thing, when the other option is going into them.

It's also fun!

I used to have a rule, and only used it as a last resort.

For an example we have a local school where the parents saunter shoulder to shoulder across the "shared use" track, in this case a bell, followed with a poilte verbal "Can I get past" and you have to assume they haven't heard.... in which case the AirZound is quite acceptable and the resultant "funky pedestrian" is sufficient reward for the inconvenience!

thomas said:

I hate the way peds think nothing of stepping out in front of a bike even when they have seen you - they seem to just assume that you will give way. They wouldn't dare do the same to a car.

Top Bottom