Show us your 'bent.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
2itrb7d.jpg

:tongue:

bottlemsher

Über Member
Here's mine

Ratracer SL Prototype
24072010021.jpg

24072010020.jpg

Molerat Racer
DSCF3286.jpg

DSCF3280.jpg

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
I have a friend who's got the front wheel drive Ratracer: nice. The Molerat looks very impressive and is obviously an out-and-out racing/speed machine: love it!! Can only see two cables coming from the bars, one brake lever and one derailleur: could you please explain the braking and gearing?
No surprise that you come from Norwich........ :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing.

bottlemsher

Über Member
On the right side of the bar is 9speed S-ram grip shift

and on the left side is the brake lever which is for both the front and rear brakes

the braking is balance between both front and rear

When I'm racing the molerat I don't even notice the the off-set wheels or the braking
it's just a fun bike to play on

Arch

Married to Night Train
Little off top here but how is it that they are regarded as so fast ?

Anyway, not all recumbents major on speed. Mine certainly doesn't, if I'm riding it. Some are built for touring, robustness, or simple comfort - like uprights, 'bents are all things to all people. A fit, 'bent conditioned rider on a light 'bent will probably beat a mirror of themselves on an upright, and a tourer would probably outride a mirror of themselves in terms of distance, thanks to the comfort.

But generally the aerodynamics help - if only when battling a headwind. Plus on three wheels, I'm way more stable and brave downhill than on two, so I'm not much slower uphill, but much faster down. So it's also a trike/bike issue.

I'll post a pic later when I'm on the home computer.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Thanks guys, its always puzzled me, though I sort of guessed at the Aero benefit

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thanks guys, its always puzzled me, though I sort of guessed at the Aero benefit

Ah, the slippery slope. Next you'll want to try one, just to see. Then, we have you....

Although I'm not a total 'bentist, I have uprights for day to day use and convenience. But if I had a garage at the flat, and a Brompton for train travel, I'd use my trike much more and maybe ditch the 'normal' uprights - currently it does leisure rides of any distance, because of the comfort aspect.

(Seriously, if you get a chance to try one, bike or trike, then do. If you're ever likely to be over East Anglia way, Kevin at Dtek does 'experience' sessions where you pay a small fee and get to try all sorts. Don't be put off if a two wheeler feels wobbly at first, it's just a case of re-jigging your balance a bit. A trike will just be easy.)

Night Train

Maker of Things
This is me on my 'Ratrike'.
Planets13031104.jpg

Ratrike with Arch's Catrike.
DSC01520.jpg

Ratrike's hardboard mudguards.
DSC01518-1.jpg

Ratrike's clothes rack telescopic flag and light pole.
DSC01511-1.jpg

Flag made from old cycling tabard.
DSC01522.jpg

Ratrike frame made up from two broken KMX frames and a bit of tube from a bunkbed leg.
KMXFrameMod.jpg

Top Bottom