Show us your - winter hack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Here's what I've plumper for

planet-x-uncle-john-cx.jpg

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Won't you have replaced it by the time winter arrives?:tongue:

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Bigger image please :smile:

Mine will be my commuter
5817580969_cda4427447_b.jpg

STUNNING !!!........I like the canal commute once the snow has fallen but REALLY not keen on conventional MTB's, so it was this or a One-One SS, both had plus points, but this will be put to good "Hack" use.

Has ultegra shifters, FSA Chainset and 105 Mech's.

Here you go

****WARNING - it has DIRT on it*****

planet-x-uncle-john-cx.jpg

potsy

Rambler
Both fine looking machines for a winter commute :thumbsup:

I have been toying with the idea of a CX for winter, but I think I will use my long abandoned Trek hybrid for now.
I'll stick some wider tyres on and might even chance the route down the side of the Mersey.

Will put a pic up later.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Currently this one: Singlecross, fixed, Shimano dynohub powers IQ Cyo up front and rear rack mount light, augmented with front and rear Dinottes. 28 mm armadillos.

It's ugly and it's heavy. Does the job though. I don't like it much; that's essential. Means I can ride it to work daily in shoot weather and happily neglect it.

P7090099.jpg

When it snows I use this one. It's built up around an oldish Milnes 'cross frame. Schwalbe Snow studs on a spare set of wheels (the front being the cheap wheel that came with the above bike). I've now ditched the front shifter and bunged a single 42T ring on the front. I slap on some raceblades to stop the slush flying around so much.

RIMG0001-1.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Before those was this: this one was really cheap- or at least originally, here it is after a wheel upgrade- that cost a bit.

RIMG0001.jpg

This will be mine. It doesn't look anything like this now! The wheels have now got tyres on, and the frames due back this week with it's white re-spray complete, then I can crack on with the 10 speed conversion. Just need a threaded sealed headset, downtube barrel adjusters and some mudguards, everything else is ready and waiting to go.

scaled.php

I'll update the pic when it's finished :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Both fine looking machines for a winter commute :thumbsup:

I have been toying with the idea of a CX for winter, but I think I will use my long abandoned Trek hybrid for now.
I'll stick some wider tyres on and might even chance the route down the side of the Mersey.

Will put a pic up later.

If you have an off road route, then CX is where its at dude !

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
This will be mine. It doesn't look anything like this now! The wheels have now got tyres on, and the frames due back this week with it's white re-spray complete, then I can crack on with the 10 speed conversion. Just need a threaded sealed headset, downtube barrel adjusters and some mudguards, everything else is ready and waiting to go.

scaled.php

I'll update the pic when it's finished :thumbsup:

Looking good.

A few reasons why winter is great (1) you can try out your newly built winter bike in the conditions for which it was intended (2) similarly your new lights (is there anything better than buying new lights?) (3) 'cross

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Foz

How do you find braking in the snow/wet on that thing ?

I went down the canal today and was a little worried by lack of power, the CX will take Disk's but i'd need a new rear hub, over all though stopping was ok, just thinking with one eye to the future thats all.

Moby Jones

What tyres do you guys recommend and what mudguards do you use. I have a set of race blades on at the moment but feel a full set of mudguards will be needed for the winter

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Top Bottom