Sigh.....Another one Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I joined the club tonight..... ;)

Circumventing a small'ish round-a-bout in central Stockport, (near the viaduct) heading East, about 3/4 round, just passing twin lane entry (quick traffic approaching) one car stops, one doesn't...a little Fiat.....

F........ bang bump ! F*@# :laugh:

I had just enough time to effect a broadside into the Fiat car that was doing 25-30, otherwise It would have been head on. Impacted the door, front wing then was duly dumped onto the tarmac - no time to put hands down.... helmet bounced off the road with some force.....

Driver stopped, I swore some as I tried to get up nursing the pain....... she was rather shocked..."sorry didn't see you" - I pointed to my 10 lights and reflective kit......:sad:

She was very apologetic.....said I'd be OK and I'd phone her later when I got checked out.....details exchanged

Not much damage, bike's got a scuffed bar end, new XT pedal and QR skewer....clothing intact, me, some deep bruising on shoulder, thigh and just below my hip.

Got some anti bruise stuff on, so see how it is tomorrow.

Will be just asking for a contribution to a hew helmet....don't want to risk it - it took quite a bump, but visually is OK other than a scuff.

If she messes about, then it's British Cycling's finest onto her.....:evil:

And there was me, not an hour before, saying to a colleague, "you have to take it easy near Christmas with the tipsy and/or rushing drivers....." :laugh:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oooh, commiserations. Have a hot cuppa!

Have you ever read cyclecraft?

LOL, j/k.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've been in the same situation - wearing a nightvision jacket, flashing lights, but with me it was day light. The guy still said he didnt see me.

Rest up and get yourself checked over professionally. Even if you're just bruised in your own opinion this is very worth while. My guess is she wasnt looking, I would also take a trip down the local cop shop to ask for advice as I think she has to report it legally, but may not.

Heal up soon!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Report it to the police (or contact her to make sure she does, it's an offence for her not to). Hope you and the bike turn out to be ok - take it easy, and check both over in the cold light of day...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
John the Monkey said:
Report it to the police (or contact her to make sure she does, it's an offence for her not to). Hope you and the bike turn out to be ok - take it easy, and check both over in the cold light of day...
+1, with a hot steaming cup of booze (to bring out the swelling).

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Bike is OK - washed and dried off - just a few scuffs.

Phoned her just now, advised that clothing and bike are OK. Stated that the helmet took a knock - gave her the model info, and told her where to look. Hopefully that will be £70 towards a Bell Volt !

TBH I'm OK, bit sore, a few big bruises, nothing broken, everything still moving - that might change tomorrow am, but I aim to be back on the bike.

She suggested she'll send me a cheque - left it up to her. Her Fiat now sports a dent and scratch in the bonnet !!

I apologised for swearing a bit, but explained that hitting a car hurts quite a bit - the swearing wasn't aimed at her... she was more shocked than me...

All part of the course of cycling eh.....

Tharg2007

Veteran
Bruises = claim

Call the police so its logged, get some pictures and go to the hospital.

When I was hit bike got the damage and I was ok, still claiming for whats damaged. You were damaged so she needs to pay. If she doesnt have no claims protection then thats a lesson learned right there.

Glad your almost ok. Hope it wasnt my ribble that got damaged?

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I'll see how I am tomorrow - this adrenalin stuff works wonders.....

I won't be claiming, the bike is fine, my kit is fine. Had I broken a bone, tore ligaments, then it might be different... I don't think my road bikes would have taken that impact for sure.....

There was me thinking 'chuffin great, bet I've scuffed up my new XT rear mech......' - fortunately, I landed on the other side......

I'll report it if I'm bad in the morning....

The lass was more shook up than me.....

alp1950

Nasty.

Doesn't sound as though there was anything you could have done to avoid this- but do you think this will change how you ride this (and other) roundabouts in the future?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
fossyant said:
I'll see how I am tomorrow - this adrenalin stuff works wonders.....

I won't be claiming, the bike is fine, my kit is fine. Had I broken a bone, tore ligaments, then it might be different... I don't think my road bikes would have taken that impact for sure.....

There was me thinking 'chuffin great, bet I've scuffed up my new XT rear mech......' - fortunately, I landed on the other side......

I'll report it if I'm bad in the morning....

The lass was more shook up than me.....

Mate, seriously, go to the cop shop. Chances are she could do with checking out properly, she may infact have done this before, or may not learn how serious this is. Did she give you insurance details? If not she'd have broken the law there too.

Top Bottom