Silly cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Those of you who are subscribe to me on youtube will probably know about this little series i have been doing over the past month.

To summarise for those that haven't seen the videos. I make a Top 10 of the silly things i see that cyclists do during a working week and i do a commentary over it. The first 9 episodes where short montages with music played over the top. But the current format is getting good feedback so i will probably continue doing it.

I'm not trying to name and shame people, or display cyclists in a bad light. I just want people to know that doing somethings A. make you look silly. B. put yourself in danger.

Episode 10
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyH1xHMXcwk[/media]

Episode 11
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0X3bwHSvz0[/media]

fixedfixer

Veteran
Gaz, well put together and hopefully a good educational tool. The woman who rode straight towards the bus was alarming. Another second or so and she'd be history.

Fran143

Über Member
Love it Gaz.....also gives me food for thought as I have been guilty of a few of these cycling misdemeanours in the past.:whistle: Great commentary and I can't believe how many cyclists are on your commute, plenty of scope for this to run and run. Well done!:biggrin:

400bhp

Guru
That is quite good.

And a good use of a camera.

God knows how you find the tiem to put it together.

Do you ever comment to the cyclists whilst filming them doing stupid things?

Good videos!

The most common I see are cyclist pulling out without looking behind them. Of the cyclists I come across I'd say 60% don't look or indicate. I just can't fathom the thinking behind this. Perhaps there is an epidmic of stiff neck syndrome....:wacko:

jimboalee

In Episode 11 No. 2, the cyclist with a camera on his hat overtakes another cyclist who is in process of overtaking other traffic. Both of them were in the contra direction carriageway.

The cyclist who was being overtaken could have swerved to avoid a ped stepping out. When following an other cyclist round the outside of slow moving or stationary traffic, it is always sensible to hang back and 'keep your distance'.

You should

• keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
  • keep both feet on the pedals
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
  • not ride close behind another vehicle
  • not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
  • be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted

Are you sure you have your numbers right as I don't see how this relates to no.2 in either video (neither no.9 if you are counting in order).

If by "cyclist with camera on their hat" you mean gaz - don't be a pansy about it and say it straight.

Where is 66 from? This on it's own means nothing - I (and I guess we) assume its the Highway Code - this is important because people need to know how this relates to relevant laws (or lack thereof).

jimboalee, you may indeed be correct (I haven't looked at the videos again, especially as there is some uncertainly over which video and number!).

However, if gaz is overtaking a cyclist, he is not riding abreast, he is overtaking. Therefore, rule 66 doesn't apply.

Reference the overtake correctly and we can have a look.

Jezston

Über Member
Good videos but it is my job to be anal about audio so I must comment on the quality of the dialogue recording. Not sure what you are recording the sound with, but I'm guessing you are using the camera? I recommend recording in mono if you can, or if iMovie gives you the ability to do this - convert the audio into mono by losing one of the sides (do NOT mix the stereo to mono as this will introduce phase-related problems i.e. make it sound worse).

The other issue is the sound is rather 'boxy' and 'roomy' - I suggest recording in a more softer furnished room to make the speech sound more acoustically neutral, or perhaps stick a duvet behind the mic to cut down on reflections mixing with you voice.

Also Jimbo: couldn't you just have said something along the lines of "nice videos but not sure you should have overtaken that cyclist whilst on the wrong side of the road" etc? Sarcasm is very unbecoming.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Great vids. Episode 10 #8 though, Dutch bike probs. Rack on that would probably carry me with ease, the Dutch have a habit of carrying passengers on their racks!

#3 Tulse Hill. Overtaking the leading vehicle (bus) on the zig-zags of a ped crossing is an offence.

jimboalee, you may indeed be correct (I haven't looked at the videos again, especially as there is some uncertainly over which video and number!).

However, if gaz is overtaking a cyclist, he is not riding abreast, he is overtaking. Therefore, rule 66 doesn't apply.

Reference the overtake correctly and we can have a look.

Ep11 No.2 is right, around 2:54.

Visibilty here was good, easy to see pedestrians waiting between cars if any... not that it was riding abrest anyway, not that there is a law against such behaviour...

Ah yes. Yes, looks fine to me. As you say, good visibility, and he passes the other cyclist quickly. No traffic coming the other way.

jimboalee

In Episode 11 No. 2, the cyclist with a camera on his hat overtakes another cyclist who is in process of overtaking other traffic. Both of them were in the contra direction carriageway.

The cyclist who was being overtaken could have swerved to avoid a ped stepping out. When following an other cyclist round the outside of slow moving or stationary traffic, it is always sensible to hang back and 'keep your distance'.

You should

• keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
  • keep both feet on the pedals
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
  • not ride close behind another vehicle
  • not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
  • be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted

Again.

My point is... If anyone makes critcism of others who practice the same activity, they must be ultra squeaky clean.

Taking videos of complete strangers and criticising/piss taking on Youtube might lead to one of those cyclists doing something really silly, like putting Gaz in hospital.
It is similar to giving obscene hand jestures to motorists. That motorist might stop and punch your teeth out.

might lead to one of those cyclists doing something really silly, like putting Gaz in hospital.

No it won't..

Are you trying to get a rise from someone?

Noone is perfect - but does that mean that we cannot criticise others? Next time a copper starts bletting on you me for something should you say "you're not perfect" and put him in hospital?

Top Bottom