Simple, Elegant, Affordable Wireless Computer Recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I am going to get, and considering ask for Christmas, a bike computer for next year - I'd like to actually track the miles I do from the new year onwards.

So, I'm looking for a basic wireless computer that will tell me how fast I'm going and how far I've gone, nothing more than that is terribly necessary.

It will be nice if it's fairly small and elegant looking that will fit the more classic minimalist stylings of my commuter bike.

And will also be nice (and more likely to be bought for me if it's reasonably inexpensive!

Any recommendations?

doctornige

Well, if you have an iPhone 4, then you are laughing, as you can add an Ultimate Addons bike mount and waterproof case for £27 and then get Abvio's Cyclemeter for about £1.60 or something. It's not tiny and minimalist, but it is the cheapest solution if you already have a phone.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I've been using a phone in the past, but to be honest it's a bit of a hassle - especially this time of year when I've got gloves on. Rather just have a simple little device permanently attached to the stem I can just press a button on or whatever when I go for a ride.

Not sure it meets the elegance test but I have a Cateye Strada Wireless which is as basic as they come and has never missed a beat and had never been affected by any interference.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Another vote for the Cateye Micro here. Very sleek and diminuitive size. The only disadvantage is that the display is a bit awkward to read on the move or in low light conditions but if you only want to check the stats at the end of a ride (distance covered/time/Av speed etc) then it is ideal.

I'm using the B'twin Count 8 for £20, I love it! Although I now have Endomondo on my iPhone which has sort of made the bikeputer redundant. :/
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/count-8-wireless-bike-computer-id_8173018.html

Saw one of these last week and thought the same, just wondering if the buttons are easy to use with gloves though.

jay clock

Massive member
The big benefit of the Cateye STrada is that the button is built in to the underside, so that tapping the lower half of the top side operates the unit. Could be done with huge gloves

Monkspeed

Saw one of these last week and thought the same, just wondering if the buttons are easy to use with gloves though.

Well I have some Dunlop gloves, they aren't massively thick but I can push the buttons very easily with them on. It only has the two big buttons on the front anyway. The right one cycles forward through the functions, the left cycles backwards through the functions. If you hold the left one down for a few seconds (for which it has a countdown indicator) then it resets the functions for the current journey to zero.

There is a button on the top but that is only used to edit parameters, (Manual entry of total KM, wheels size, time)

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the rubber fastener that holds the bracket of the computer to the handlebar, I have a road bike with an oversized bar and it was a real stretch to get it on. I don't think its supposed to be stretched quite that far.

Hope this helps :smile:

Durian

Über Member
Another vote for the Cateye Strada, mine's used in monsoon conditions and heat and has never let me down, can't vouch for it in the cold weather though.

You can set it for either miles or kilometres.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Neither I nor the LBS could get a strada with cadence to work properly with anything other than fresh batteries on one of my bikes unless I fitted the head to the top tube. Seemed to be a range issue. Fine for a couple of days/weeks and then would just stop working. Gave up in the end and flogged it on fleabay.

Top Bottom