single or multi release cleats ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

I use the shimano single release cleats that Ive been using for a year and find them fine, but want to buy another pair of shoes and cleats. I came across the shimano multi release cleats but cant think why these would benefit me I wouldn't twist my foot to wards the pedal ever to release !?.

Anyone use them if so what are the major advantages you have found over single release

sorry one more thing can you put mtb cleats in a road shoe ?. The shoe does say spd compatible but didnt know if that was shimano road spd as opposed to mtb spds i use the sh51 ones I think.

Many Thanks

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Single release cleats will release towards the inside or the outside. Normally you only twist inwards when the pedal is at the top.
Multi release cleats will also release upwards if you panic and heave. The disadvantage is that if you heave up on the pedal going up a steep hill, your foot comes out.

If you've been using single release with no problems, stick with them. The multi release cleats are really aimed at people new to SPD who are nervous about being locked to the pedal.

These days, "SPD compatible" is a road shoe generally means road SPD and not MTB SPD. Try and find a picture showing the sole of the shoe, and look for the two slots.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
andrew_s said:
Single release cleats will release towards the inside or the outside. Normally you only twist inwards when the pedal is at the top.
Multi release cleats will also release upwards if you panic and heave. The disadvantage is that if you heave up on the pedal going up a steep hill, your foot comes out.

If you've been using single release with no problems, stick with them. The multi release cleats are really aimed at people new to SPD who are nervous about being locked to the pedal.

These days, "SPD compatible" is a road shoe generally means road SPD and not MTB SPD. Try and find a picture showing the sole of the shoe, and look for the two slots.

Many Thanks for this Andrew I will get the MTB shoe instead of the road one then as I will also be using them for commuting and need to walk a bit in them.

jay clock

Massive member
I think I have some of both types and have found the singl release ones in fact do work either way. Also I use the MTB ones even for triathlons, as the shoes I have (Spesh MTB sport) are identical to the Road Sport model except that they have more lugs around the sole to allow walking of sorts

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
I've always used mutli-release cleats, because they came with the pedals. They've never disengaged when I haven't wanted them to.

User do you tend to take advantage of the increased ways of unclipping or just tend to twist out normally.

Have you also found that having these benefits have got you out of trouble when say a single release wouldnt have ?

I have heard lots of people say that when pulling hard sometimes you do unclip, I had a scarry moment on the ice the other week and couldnt get unclipped wobbling all over the place, luckily I didnt fall off but it was very close !!.

Ranger

I also use the multi-release cleats and generally will unclip 'normally' however there have been the occasions where being able to pull my foot straight out in any direction have saved me a tumble (usually caused by me not paying attention to what is happening ahead)

I have occasionally unclipped accidentally when climbing, mostly when the cleats are worn/I haven't adjusted the tension on the pedals, but nothing major as I really only commute on my bike.

However, when I go to spin classes I do use the single direction ones as otherwise I am constantly coming unclipped and so can see why they would be better for more competitive riding

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Ranger said:
I also use the multi-release cleats and generally will unclip 'normally' however there have been the occasions where being able to pull my foot straight out in any direction have saved me a tumble (usually caused by me not paying attention to what is happening ahead)

I have occasionally unclipped accidentally when climbing, mostly when the cleats are worn/I haven't adjusted the tension on the pedals, but nothing major as I really only commute on my bike.

However, when I go to spin classes I do use the single direction ones as otherwise I am constantly coming unclipped and so can see why they would be better for more competitive riding

Many Thanks for this, Ill probably just stick with what ive got although they do sound good to put on my commuting shoes, maybe ill replce my cleats on my current shoes when worn with these and buy some more singles for the new shoes.

Thanks

Top Bottom