Skewers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I've been cycling the university and back daily for a few months now on a second hand Marin Elridge Grade but now the unthinkable has happened and the rear inner tube has to be replaced. And I'll be damned if I can get the skewer out.
They have a cylindrical metal fixture perpendicular to the skewer, there is a tiny threaded screw in the centre of one end of the cylinder, which undoes with the smallest allen key on my tool. This does not seem to release anything and there is an identically sized hole through the other end of the cylinder and all the while the knurled nut on the other side of the wheel will not undo.

SNC00086.jpg

SNC00085.jpg

kyuss

Veteran
I have similar skewers on my Planet X wheels. See that threaded hole on the top right side of the cyclinder, there should be a small handle that threads into that.

There's nothing you need to unscrew. What you need to do is put something in that hole where the handle should be and lever outwards away from the wheel. This will open the cam and enable you to get the wheel out.

skewer.jpg

OP
OP
A
Thanks kyuss, it did indeed just need brute force and a little bit of know how applied.

I'll definitely come back to this site more often, especially when I no longer just get out of breath just carrying the bike down stairs!

e-rider

crappy member
these were pretty common a while back. X-lite and other brands used to make them.

The lever un-screws so that no-one can run off with your wheels.

Unfortunately, you don't have the lever, but any long screw with the same thread should screw in and provide enough leverage to undo it.

Top Bottom