Skin of the teeth or what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Gti junior's Acer notebook has gone phut. Gave it to the IT bloke at work who kept it for a week and kept muttering about BIOS and so forth, but was clearly making no progress. Gave in today, got it back (had to drive him home at lunch time) and called the Acer helpline in India where a nice bloke called "Ken" did a few tests then told me it was completely goosed and would need to go back and... the one year warranty had THREE days left to run. Phew!

I could so easily have left it until next week.......

mr Mag00

rising member
the force is strong in this one!

Maz

Guru
Gti junior's Acer notebook has gone phut. Gave it to the IT bloke at work who kept it for a week and kept muttering about BIOS and so forth, but was clearly making no progress. Gave in today, got it back (had to drive him home at lunch time) and called the Acer helpline in India where a nice bloke called "Ken" did a few tests then told me it was completely goosed and would need to go back and... the one year warranty had THREE days left to run. Phew!

I could so easily have left it until next week.......
And the moral is:
Don't put off until tomorrow what "Ken" be done today.

atbman

Veteran
EU legislation gives 2 years replacement guarantee for electrical items, so one year not enforceable

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't think "Ken" would have swallowed that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't think "Ken" would have swallowed that.
I don't think Ken 'Wood' have had much choice!

My Iyama 17" CRT monitor died a month beyond its 3 year warranty, back in the days when such things were incredibly expensive. (I paid over £500 for it!) I rang the UK distributor to see about getting it fixed and spoke to a very helpful woman who asked me how old it was. When I told her that I'd had it 37 months, she told me that she'd log it as 35 months so I could get the repair done under warranty! 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
^^ Not the same Colin, but Microsoft did a similar thing with the power pack on an Xbox 360 console I have. Power pack stopped working, phoned them up, 3 months over warranty, they posted me out a new power pack no questions asked. Wonder if they will do the same with the disc drive now its about 2 years over warranty :tongue:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
^^ Not the same Colin, but Microsoft did a similar thing with the power pack on an Xbox 360 console I have. Power pack stopped working, phoned them up, 3 months over warranty, they posted me out a new power pack no questions asked. Wonder if they will do the same with the disc drive now its about 2 years over warranty :tongue:
You'd think that all companies would see how much goodwill this kind of thing generates. Here I am praising the company about 10 years down the line.

Contrast this with the up-market American bike company Merlin (Not the UK Merlin cycles!)... There is a some hugely damaging stuff going on over at BikeRadar at the moment about how they refused to fix a very expensive Merlin frame, accusing the owner of having crashed it. Initial thread, follow-up thread What on Earth were they thinking! Would you buy a US Merlin now?

taxing

I thought I was lucky sending my laptop in for repair with a month left to run on the warranty! A very nice man came and picked it up yesterday, hopefully it'll be back in time for Christmas.

Top Bottom